• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eken GC10X 10" Tablet

Eken GC10X 10" tablet

I decided to purchase a Eken GC10X 10" (made in China) tablet about a month ago on sale for $79 (in store pickup price) (regular $99) at the Micro Center store. My old Curtis Klu LT7052 7" resistive touch screen tablet was really slow and not very responsive with a low display resolution (800x480) and a host of other issues.

This Eken GC10X tablet performs surprising well for a sub-$100 tablet. The 10" size is good for my eyes and it has a responsive capacitive touch screen and a decent display resolution and brightness. It runs Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with Google Play Store already installed. The colors on videos are rather bland, but text does well. The tablet is preloaded with Adobe Flash Player 11.1 and other Google standard apps. Another nice feature is the tablet is already rooted.

The 1024x800 (non-IPS) display offers good resolution and the 10" screen size is nice when reading email and documents and for general web browsing. The capacitive touch screen has a 7-point touch and with a 1.1GHz Allwinner A20 Dual Core Cortex A7 the response time is pretty good. There is a 0.3MP front camera (no rear camera). One nice feature is a full size USB port (to plug in flash drives) in addition to the micro USB port and mini HDMI port. It does not have blue tooth or GPS but Google Maps can be downloaded and navigation steps will stay on the screen after you turn off WiFi. The WiFi sensitivity is pretty good too (unlike my old Curtis tablet).

The tablet comes with 1GB RAM and 4GB internal SD card. But you only have 0.90 GB available on the internal SD card for user storage since the remaining portion of the 4GB internal SD is used for system internal memory (you can add an external SD card up to 32GB). As long as you don't download too many apps, this tablet will meet your basic needs.

One issue that I found is that if the tablet is turned on after being charged overnight (and staying on AC power) then the capacitive touch screen begins to self click in random places and was hard to get control back (I had to shutoff the tablet). You can see where it clicks the by enabling "Developer Options > Input > Show Touches".

I have been using this tablet for about a month now, and so far so good. I have read about other cheap tablets failing to perform (unhappy users) but this one seem to be OK.

Overall this is a really nice tablet for its price range. It is a bit heavy, but that is expected (it IS a 10" tablet). It is not a Nexus 10, but for its price it is quite good and more than adequate.

SPECIFICATIONS

URL: Eken GC10X
Model: Eken GC10X (X10) 10.1" Tablet
Color: Black
Chip: Allwinner A20 Dual Core Cortex A7 1.1GHz
GPU: Mali-400MP2 VPU CedarX
Display: 10.1-inch 1024x600-pixel (1.71 16:9.4) resolution (non-IPS)
Screen: 8 13/16" x 5" (1.76 16:9 3% horiz stretch) Capacitive 7pt touch
Storage: 4GB Nand Flash
DDR SDRAM: DDR3 1GB RAM
Sensors: G-sensor
Wireless: Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)
Other: Support for 3G dongles and Ethernet with adapter
Software: Support for software Google Map, App Market, Email, etc
Camera: Front 0.3M (rear=n/a)
Battery: Built-in 5000mAh rechargeable lithium battery
I/O: Micro USB port, Mini HDMI Output, 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack,
Built-in speaker (mono), Microphone, Micro SD card slot
In Box: User manual, Charger, USB Cable
Dimensions: 270mm x 160mm x 12mm (10 5/8" x 6 1/4" x 1/2")

ABOUT TABLET

.... Model Number ....
GC10X, Android 4.2.2 (Jellybean), Firmware v2.0patch1,
Kernel (Linux) 3.4.39+ Fri Oct 18 2013,
Build number wing_k70-eng 4.2.2 JDQ39 20131028 test-keys
.... Storage ....
Internal Storage (total 2.34 GB, available 606MB)
Data Storage Int SD (total 0.90 GB, available 895MB),
Ext SD (na), USB Host (na)

HARDWARE INFO (by JFDP Labs) APP

.. System ..
Model GC10X, Mfg Unknown, Device wing-k70, Product wing-k70,
Brand softwinners, Android 4.2.2 (JB), API Level 17, Build ID JDQ39,
Fingerprint softwinners/wing_k70-eng:4.2.2/JDQ39/20131018:eng/test-keys
.. Display ..
Size 1024x600, Refresh Rate 59.76 Hz, Default Orientation Landscape
.. Processor ..
Processor ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v71), Cores 2, Max Freq 1056 MHz,
Instruction Sets armeabi-v7a,armeabi, SIMD Instructions: NEON
.. Memory ..
System RAM 825 MB, JVM Max Memory 96 MB,
Internal Storage 1007MB, External Storage 923 MB

WIKIPEDIA (article Allwinner Technology)

Chipset A20 .. Cores 2, CPU Cortex-A7, GPU Mali-400MP2 VPU CedarX,
Video Decoder 2160p, Video Encoder H.256 1080p@30fps,
Package BGA441 19mm x 19mm 0.80mm pitch

ADB USB DRIVERS

The manufacturer does not offer ADB drivers for this model on their website.
I used the xda-developers "Koush Universal ADB Driver" installation program to install the ABD USB driver for this tablet on my Windows XP PC.

Koush Univ ADB Driver
Koush Dutta's Google Plus page
Three All-in-One Solutions for Android Driver Issues – xda-developers

:)

That tablet comes off sale tonight at MicroCenter... what amuses me is that neither MicroCenter's site nor the documentation for the tablet at Eken's own site mention that USB A socket *at all*, but there it is, plain as day!

I figure, hell, for $79 it's worth getting just to fool around with new builds without needing to blow up my HP on a regular basis. But if I can plug in external storage, or a 3G/4G phone dongle, suddenly the lack of Bluetooth becomes irrelevant. Even better if anyone has figured out how to get USB keyboard support to work, since MC sells decent compact USB keyboards for ten bucks.

Thanks for posting this review... I am tempted to call and check stock on that thing and go over and score one if either of the stores by me have any left.

Upvote 0
There is no problem using a USB keyboard and plug that into the Eken tablet. You can even use a USB hub and plug in a keyboard and mouse and a flash drive at the same time.

You can plug into the full size USB A socket, or use an OTG ("on the go") cable (micro USB to full size USB A receptacle) adapter to plug into the micro USB socket (to convert the micro USB port from client mode to host mode).

I don't expect any firmware updates from the manufacturer. The firmware that comes with this tablet (Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean) is all there is. I haven't seen any custom ROM support for this tablet (after all it is a cheap tablet).

There is a review on youtube from another user if you want to see it in action
Eken GC10X 10.1" Android 4.2.2 Tablet Review - YouTube - Dec 10 2013
:)

Upvote 0
Hey it is still on sale for $79.99 at microcenter. I have been enjoying mine as it is preconfigured with the flash for amazon prime and other streaming services. I have used the USB A jack with my flash drives to watch programs - very useful.

Again not the best screen - my nexus 7 is much nicer - but for $80 you cannot go wrong. I use it daily and find that it does a great job.

Upvote 0
I recently purchased an Eken GC10X Tablet after reading the info here, and I have a few questions if anybody can help.

1. It has a full size port labeled "USB Host Port" on the User Guide (in adddition to a micro USB port). However, no standard USB device or cable will fit into this USB Host Port. Is this Host port defective or could you please explain its use?

2. I am able to watch Netflix, Youtube and Charter Live (cable TV app) on the GC10X Tablet. When I connect the tablet to a TV using a HDMI cable, I am able to watch Netflix or Youtube on the TV connected to the tablet with good audio and video on the TV. However, the Charter TV Live app on the TV freezes at the first image and has no sound. Is it possible to watch the Charter Live TV app, that works on my GC10X tablet, on a TV connected to the tablet with a HDMI cable?

Upvote 0
I recently purchased an Eken GC10X Tablet after reading the info here, and I have a few questions if anybody can help.

1. It has a full size port labeled "USB Host Port" on the User Guide (in adddition to a micro USB port). However, no standard USB device or cable will fit into this USB Host Port. Is this Host port defective or could you please explain its use?

2. I am able to watch Netflix, Youtube and Charter Live (cable TV app) on the GC10X Tablet. When I connect the tablet to a TV using a HDMI cable, I am able to watch Netflix or Youtube on the TV connected to the tablet with good audio and video on the TV. However, the Charter TV Live app on the TV freezes at the first image and has no sound. Is it possible to watch the Charter Live TV app, that works on my GC10X tablet, on a TV connected to the tablet with a HDMI cable?

I had no trouble with the USB port, I've plugged in external storage devices and a mouse, both of which worked fine. I believe your port might be defective. As for watching TV, I don't watch much TV on a tablet, and I haven't tested out my tablets HDMI port yet, so I have no idea.

Upvote 0
I've used the mini HDMI port several times. It works quite well. As for the USB it works well to attach a card reader and even a USB external HDD. however, if yoiu have a bunch of files it takes a while to mount and index files. I was unable to get my Logitech wireless keyboard to connect using the USB port.

I installed the ROKU, TWC TV, YouTube apps and they work nicely. It's pretty simple to link YouTube to the ROKU boxes that have the YouTube channel installed. High def video can be jerky until buffering has completed.

It ain't the fastest boat on the water, and you can't load up on a lot of apps, but ES File explorer helps me manage storage. For the money, it's a good box.

Reactions: User_wl60
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones