• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Email set up for LG3: can anyone help me?

CarolineJ

Lurker
Oct 14, 2017
My LG3 seems not to want to let me set up a non standard email account. After choosing Other in the email set up menu, it asks for the imap or pop address, but won't let me add the right one or go any further, leaving no option but to press Back and get stuck in a circle. Some of the on-line videos I've found offering to show you how make the process seem incredibly simple but it's not like that on my phone! Can anyone helo me?

Actually I'm not sure how to tell if my email uses pop or imap, or what the incoming and outgoing servers are, and it feels like being trapped a fiendish game.

Open the gmail app and either swipe right or tap on the hamburger menu (three lines in the upper left) then you should see your gmail address at the top with an arrow pointing downward on the right. Tap that and you get the option to add accounts. Chose the options that are for the particular email account you are trying to set up.

If you don't see those options, you should make sure you are using the latest version of the gmail app.

Upvote 0
Thank you, both. I found the gmail setup, then got hung up because I don't know how to fill out the places where it asks for Pop or Imap, server name and password. I guess that means going back to the person who set up my account ages ago because I find all that terminology so confusing. When I filled it out according to how I thought it should be, there was an error message saying it wasn't safe to proceed because there was a mismatch over the certificates.

Upvote 0
Hello, and thanks: it's a webmail account.
You need to be a little more specific than that please. An email account that's not being managed by one of the major branded services will have to be set up on your phone by manually entering the required info, there simply isn't a shortcut.
So basically, just what is your email address? And please note that we just need to know the last part, everything to the right of the @ Again, not your entire email address just the @xxxxxx.xxx part. Exclude anything to the left of the @ as that's your specific identifier and you wouldn't want to post that here in a public forum.

Upvote 0
It sounds stupid but I'm not sure if they do or not. I've got a list of set up codes that was sent to me by the person who set up my emails with Thunderbird but I can't use Thunderbird any more and have been accessing these emails on-line. Trouble is that I don't understand all the technical terms (ie server, name server). Rather than bothering people here and possibly giving away private info, perhaps I ought to find him again.

Upvote 0
If you're worried about posting too much personal information in a public forum, we can start a private conversation and include @svim. It's up to you.

In any case the information you will need is the following:

Type of mail setup, either IMAP or POP3. Many servers allow both so the main difference is that with POP3 accounts the mail is downloaded to the client and most times deleted from the server so it only exists in one place. IMAP stores the mail on the server and you can access it from any email client with the right credentials.

Account name. This can either be just the part of your email in front of the @ sign or your whole email.
Password, obviously
Incoming server - specific to the way the server was setup
Outgoing server - same as above

Some servers just use "mail" for both, like mail.mydomain.com. Some use different servers for incoming and outgoing and separate by server type, so you might see smtp.mydomain.com and imap.mydomain.com. These you probably already know.

The tricky part is the security used. It could be TLS or SSH and use different ports for sending and receiving. Many servers provide scripted setup where you just enter your email and password and it tests the connections and set the ones that work. Thunderbird does this, so that why you're probably struggling with your phone.

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
If you still have access to that computer running Thunderbird with your account set up on it, the information about where your email is sourced from and its necessary settings will be buried in the account (Click on your email address in the left side panel, then in the resulting window on the right-hand side click on View settings for this account link. That will show your account info.)

Odd that I'm seeing mamaliga.co.uk as being hosted by 'A Small Orange', not '123-reg'. Caroline, does either one of those trigger a memory? If yes, these sites show the required info you need to enter into the email app on your LG:
a small orange
https://kb.asmallorange.com/customer/portal/articles/1612665-configure-email-on-mobile-devices
123-reg
https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/answers/123-Mail/setting-up-mobile-email-clients-5097/

It does seem a bit daunting at first but maybe this will work out for you. Try reading through everything first to get familiar with the process and terminology, then start all over again and instead of approaching it as one big project, just take each step, one at a time in succession.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
OK, thanks again: this looks really helpful but I need time to digest it (and find the old computer which used Thunderbird) before trying it out. A Small Orange is completely new to me, though I know these organisations are changing all the time. I'll get back to you if I may - although I'm not sure how to use the email extension you gave me. Would it be lunatic59@svim? It's so good to know there are people out there who will give time and be patient with learners like me.

Upvote 0
In the meantime (I do love tutorials with pictures!), after re-reading this thread I saw something I didn't notice previously. You mentioned you did receive a document of your email account settings from whomever set it up originally so it might be necessary to dig up that old computer, you already have what you'll need.

Things like whether you're using POP or IMAP will be referred to specifically in that account settings document, the incoming mail server setting will actually have either 'pop' or 'imap' in it; and the outgoing mail server setting will always have 'smtp' in it.

Upvote 0
Okay, @CarolineJ do you have your notebook open and pencil sharpened? ;)

I own a domain 'eminar.com' (my last name starts with "M" and my best friend's last name starts with "R", so "M 'n R" or "eminar", clever, right? okay so don't hold that against me. ;) :) ) and i host my own email and web server there. I set you up with an email account 'carolinej@eminar.com'. I'll send you the password in a private message (see the little envelope in the upper right? It should have a little red 1 on it now.)

First thing to do is open the email app. I have an LG G6, but it should be close to the G3. If you already have your email partially setup it might try to open to that, so you'll have to go to the menu (three dots, upper right) and select Add Account.

This is the first screen you will see:

Screenshot_2017-10-18-12-06-54.png

You enter your full email address and then the password i sent you. If you were to hit "Next" the email app should then try to poll the server and determine the rest of your settings automagically. Apparently your host's server isn't configured to do that (probably an old server.) Mine would, but for the purpose of this tutorial, please tap on MANUAL SETUP.

Next you are asked for the account type.

Screenshot_2017-10-18-12-07-03.png

Choose IMAP and then tap NEXT.

Now you are getting the configuration for your incoming server. This is where it can get confusing.

Screenshot_2017-10-18-12-08-11.png

My server's name is shown above, but your email server will be something else. Enter all the information as shown above. Under security type, when you select SSL it should automatically change the port to 993. You have to accept all certificates because i self-sign and you'll get a security warning otherwise. Not to worry, it's safe.

Your user name will be only 'carolinej' but you must use your full email as shown. Please add the '@eminar.com'. The password field should be auto-populated, so no need to type it again.

Now we move on to the outgoing (SMPT) server. This is giving you the ability to send email as well as receive it.

Screenshot_2017-10-18-12-08-57.png

As you can see, it's pretty close to the incoming settings. Same server, so it's the same name, but depending on your host, it might be different. And here I use TLS to send mail. Just make sure your settings are similar or you won't be able to send mail.

Finally, it will check the settings by trying to login with both sets of credentials. Assuming you entered everything correctly, you'll get to this screen:

Screenshot_2017-10-18-12-09-11.png

This is telling the app how often to check for email. While many IMAP servers will try to push new mail immediately to the client, it's still a good idea to have the server polled for messages periodically.

Finally you set how you want the account to be displayed

Screenshot_2017-10-18-12-09-43.png

And click done. You should immediately get a notice that there is mail waiting.

Screenshot_2017-10-18-12-10-03.png

I sent your new account a message from one of my other email accounts.

If you get stuck at any point, just let me know. I'm sure @svim will be around to help, as well. :D

GOOD LUCK!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones