• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help embedded images in email

TheBr0ken

Mar 2, 2010
so as everyone that is on 2.1 knows we cannot see embedded images on our email....but what if i told you i now have them

One of the many things that dont make much sense to me on this phone. I have 2 ways to get email. The native email app retrieves gmail normally and thats where there is no image. There is another mail icon for just mail and thats used to set up exchange or another pop3 account. well i wanted to try the mail HTC widget and in order for me to do that I had to set up pop3 to retrieve gmail. So now i have 2 apps retrieving gmail. i sent myself an email from a different email to test and it was all text, no box with ?'s or nothing. I hit menu then more then settings. in send and recieve there is an option for max size limit. by default mine was set as 5kb (text only) i changed it to no limit. resent the email and when i opened it there were the ?'s again but there was also a show HTML images and once i clicked it I had imbedded images, but only using the Mail icon not the gmail envelope still. think i might disable notifications for the gmail one and use the one that works

Yes, it is my understanding that the bug is a problem with how the gmail app works in the 2.xx Rom. Your workaround should work with no problem. To be honest the email app works a little better than the gmail app IMO, except you lose the push capability. If instant gratification isn't necessary then what you suggest will work just fine.

Upvote 0
so as everyone that is on 2.1 knows we cannot see embedded images on our email....but what if i told you i now have them

One of the many things that dont make much sense to me on this phone. I have 2 ways to get email. The native email app retrieves gmail normally and thats where there is no image. There is another mail icon for just mail and thats used to set up exchange or another pop3 account. well i wanted to try the mail HTC widget and in order for me to do that I had to set up pop3 to retrieve gmail. So now i have 2 apps retrieving gmail. i sent myself an email from a different email to test and it was all text, no box with ?'s or nothing. I hit menu then more then settings. in send and recieve there is an option for max size limit. by default mine was set as 5kb (text only) i changed it to no limit. resent the email and when i opened it there were the ?'s again but there was also a show HTML images and once i clicked it I had imbedded images, but only using the Mail icon not the gmail envelope still. think i might disable notifications for the gmail one and use the one that works

Yeah, I've had embedded images working fine in the Mail app all along, just not in the Gmail app. I personally like using Mail for my work email and Gmail for my personal email. My workaround right now for the embedded images in gmail is just to use the gmail web site in the browser when I need to see the images.

When I had 1.5, embedded images in my Gmail showed up fine, although apparently other people couldn't see them in 1.5 either.

Upvote 0
I'm on the Note with 2.3.6. Am I to understand that we can't view embedded images within email if we're running this version - regardless of what phone we use? Example HTC, Samsung, LG, etc.

Is it a version issue that doesn't allow users to get embedded pics? Because I love that feature with the iPhone and I want it so badly with my Note. If I could find a way to get embedded pics in the email, I'd drop kick my iPhone to the curb.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones