• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Enable background data in settings ...?

zsir

Jan 12, 2010
I have disabled background data and now " enable background data in settings" always appears in notification bar. It says yahoo applications needs it. Probably a result of installing yahoo mail app. Anyone know a work around to keep the message out of notification bar?

Problem is you will not get notified if you get a message in messenger, so whats the point? I mean this is almost like saying "turn the program off" .... don't get me wrong best solution we have but this type of "fix" in droid land is getting frustrating!

The link below has detailed instructions on how to turn off the yahoo app notifications .. worked perfectly for me!!

[Solved] Possible to disable notifications for Yahoo Mail on Android? - Security Answers

Upvote 0
Problem is you will not get notified if you get a message in messenger, so whats the point? I mean this is almost like saying "turn the program off" .... don't get me wrong best solution we have but this type of "fix" in droid land is getting frustrating!

I have to agree with this assessment. It's the same equivalent of saying "Just uninstall it!"

Yahoo should really fix this. The crappy thing is, I want notifications for new emails, but not a reminder to enable background data when it already has been enabled.

sigh.

btw, hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum

Upvote 0
I'm an idiot. I know this. And it sucks having a phone smarter than I am. anyhoo...

I need to go in and re-enable some of those background services so I can get to the market. I'm not sure where I messed them up (someone else tried to "help" me with the phone - that's where I really messed up). Been tapping and poking and going crazy trying to find the screen to renable services on that and other things.

Because even though I can scan the code, the market needs background data enabled so I can download and install it. So far I haven't found it, but I'll keep looking...

(Oh, Hi! I'm new. Have enjoyed being here so far. This is the first time I haven't been able to get the help I need here - sorta excited about it.)

Edit: Okay, I've looked for this stupid check box for days and finally gave up and asked. Guess what? I finally found it in the battery settings something or another.

Upvote 0
I have the Droid 4... I have disabled Yahoo notifications, sync, or anytype of setting in Yahoo. I still get that damn message and it takes my battery life from green to yellow everytime it shows up. VERY FRUSTRATING. Called my carrier (Verizon), their solution, hard reset. I really don't want to go through and install all my apps again and lose all my text. Suggestions would be great.

Upvote 0
I have disabled background data and now " enable background data in settings" always appears in notification bar. It says yahoo applications needs it. Probably a result of installing yahoo mail app. Anyone know a work around to keep the message out of notification bar?

Hello, This all of a sudden appeared in the notification status bar of my phone as well. I decided to add the Yahoo mail account to the stock email application on my phone, Samsung Galaxy Captivate running 2.3.5, then I removed the Yahoo mail application from the Play Store itself from my phone. This removed the annoying notice in the status bar. I keep the background data sync option off to conserve data usage. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones