• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris with 2.0/2.1 as good as the Moto Droid

Just curious if you noticed a performance boost.on your G1 when you loaded it. I'm really.curious to see what will come down the line for the eris. I'm a former storm owner and software update can be a night and day difference. That last on the storm 1 was a huge improvement. The phone behaved completely different. So I'm optimistic.
It runs smooth but the smoothest fastest custom ROM I ever used has been CyanogenMod; really, Cyanogen should be offered a top job at Google developing for Android. I'm testing the battery life of Eclair Hero 2.1 now. Its on a G1 so the battery life isn't fabulous to begin with. I also believe the "eye-candy" of Sense UI will always have a negative effect on battery life until manufacturers come up with some new battery tech. But I'm sure the HTC Android 2.x devices that drop in 2010 will be un-be-lievable. Especially the "Passion/Dragon/Bravo." ;)

Upvote 0
I absolutely LOVE my Eris!! I think the Droid is so ugly and heavy. Yes, the screen and resolution is better and has a faster processor, but for what I use it for, I have no problems whatsoever. Does the battery life suck, well yes, we know that. But I have a car charger and an extra charger at work.

The Droid IS NOT the iphone killer at all. I did want an iphone, but wasn't going to switch to AT&T.

I believe that the Omnia 2 has a a crisper, clearer screen the the Moto Droid.

Upvote 0
I bought the Droid, kept it for a week, then exchanged it for an Eris. Couldn't use the Droid slide out keyboard, didn't care about the flash, don't need the faster CPU, like the way the Eris looks and fits in my hand and pocket. So I'm happy.

If they had a Droid without the slide out keyboard, I would have bought that in a minute.

Upvote 0
I bought the Droid, kept it for a week, then exchanged it for an Eris. Couldn't use the Droid slide out keyboard, didn't care about the flash, don't need the faster CPU, like the way the Eris looks and fits in my hand and pocket. So I'm happy.

If they had a Droid without the slide out keyboard, I would have bought that in a minute.

I suppose I would have too.

Upvote 0
I've been around these phones and used them all day 5 days a week at work. Though a loophole I had my choice of either phone. I went back and forth between the DROID and the Eris and decided that the Eris was the better choice and here is my reasoning (with minimal bashing).

The DROID's keyboard is just there. It serves no purpose in my opinion because the virtual keyboard is so much easier to use.

The Eris does have an inferior chipset and no dedicated GPU. So all around you should be able to run faster on the DROID.

DROID is vanilla. Eris has Sense. = DROID will always be one step ahead in Android version. Eris has Sense. Which is more important is up to you.

Playing with the DROID for about a half hour, I had to force close a few functions. Playing with the Eris for a day, I never force closed anything. I'm kind of curious if the Eris has force close.

Battery life on the DROID is superior. The end.

The Eris is far smoother all around. The physical build, the transition from screen to screen and app to app, and the touchscreen flows much better.

Physical call and end is a big deal to me. Don't know if it is for you. Plus having the trackball is quite helpful as compared to opening up the keyboard and using that d-pad.

Motorola's track record for smart phones vs. HTC's is a big deal. I just don't trust Motorola.

I have more but this is getting a little lengthy. So I'll leave it at that. I enjoy the Eris. You might enjoy the DROID.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones