• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Eris won't load past htc brillantly quiet and verizon opening screens?

Ok so tonight my phone was installing multiple updates for apps all at the same time due to automatic updates... well 4 of 8 that were updating were stuck at installing for over an hour, so I shut my phone off and turned it back on. Now its won't load past the htc and verzion banners upon loading and now it just shuts off after a few second. My phone is not rooted and I also got a low on memory notifaction tonight as these apps were updating. Going to Verizon tomorrow, but I dont have insurance on my phone... so any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

The simplest thing to try is a factory reset. This can be done from the stock recovery menu.

Yes, you will lose all the settings and text messages on your phone; possibly contacts too, if you don't have them backed up (and they are not Google contacts). The factory reset does not touch any thing on the SD card.

Here's how to do it. I will assume that you have Eclair on the phone (HTC/Android 2.1).

1) Turn the phone off and charge it completely

2) Power the phone on by Holding Vol-Down + End/Power simultaneously. Make sure to press Vol-Down first. After about 2-3 seconds, the phone should come up in "HBOOT" mode.

3) There will be a menu on the phone that tells you how to navigate to the "RECOVERY" boot. Follow the instructions. (They are terse, but if you look at them carefully, it will be evident which buttons to push).

4) The screen will change to one with a graphic image on it - an image of either the phone or a droid, plus an exclamation mark inside a triangle. This is the "stock" recovery boot splash screen.

5) Now, get the menu to appear by pressing Vol-Up+End/Power simultaneously.*** (Press Vol-Up first); you should see a purple/lavender menu.

6) Choose the Wipe Data/Factory Reset menu.

7) Re-boot and re-configure your phone. (Note that it will make an activation call, so you should be in a place where you get cell service when you do this).

*** if you still have a Cupcake release on your phone (HTC/Android 1.5), you would press the "Home" softkey and the End/Power button at the same time.

cheers,

eu1

Reactions: Ricer_X_01
Upvote 0
This exact thing is happening to me, but the question I have is whether or not pictures are saved directly to SD or are the on the phone? Worse, I suppose it was a setting I *should* have set but didn't due to lack of knowledge.

I've tried going through some of the instructions to root the phone which include using the USB connection for "Android 1.0" but that just doesn't seem to work since I can't set it up for USB Debugging...cuz I'm stuck at the splash screen.

Upvote 0
This exact thing is happening to me, but the question I have is whether or not pictures are saved directly to SD or are the on the phone? Worse, I suppose it was a setting I *should* have set but didn't due to lack of knowledge.

If you are talking about an Eris, then yes, photos taken by the camera are stored on the SD card. There is nothing to configure - and there is no way to store them on internal memory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones