• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ES File Explorer: Alternatives ?

I think the user interface could be improved.

I don't like the flip-flop list of icons.
The icons take up too much space.
It seems to have been developed for a tablet with side-by-side displays separated by icons.
... Thom
I like the row of buttons. Once I got them configured and reordered I really appreciated the thought that went into them. Basically, they present an action menu at all times. No stopping to access a menu. Or you can long-press an item for a pop-up menu. Nice!
IMO,

updates, just for the sake of incorporating a different twist, or look, are dangerous, and I just simply won't do them.

I have had perfectly good running apps just destroyed by an update coming along that was not suitable for my device.
The biggest one in memory totally wrecked the video graphics card on a PC once.... it had been running fine for 5 years, and then in a "stupid moment" I read something that said "your graphics card is..........." and clicked 'yes', and that was the last time that Graphics card worked in that PC for several days....

I had to use an external monitor, boot the PC into Linux, and reload the OEM original video driver for that PC.
Bingo! it works again....

Updates are a no no for me, why keep fixing something until it breaks?
I'm just the opposite. I like getting the new features and bug fixes. And I've had few problems. New versions of software are supposed to be improvements and usually are.

Upvote 0
Currently I have Root Explorer and X-plore installed. If I had to recommend one of them it would be x-plore -
Per your advice, I have had those two installed for some weeks now and also find that X-Plore is my preferred app.

Part of it is recurrant copies/pastes from my "Camera" folder to either my NAS box or directly to my Picasa account. *Really* convenient

Upvote 0
I tried Solid Explorer but I can't get the app to recognize my PC. I also tried the Asus file manager, but all it does is give you an address to type into your browser to share via the PC (too much of a hassle). ES File Explorer is the one file manager that does recognize my PC. Unfortunately it has become a bloated pig so until I can find a decent replacement for ES I'm just using Bluetooth to transfer things from phone to PC and vise versa.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones