• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EVDO Rev. A upload speeds?

Isn't 700k max on Rev. A? Which would make the average area somewhere around 350k? Lower signal areas or high traffic areas should cut that in about half? I would think 140-160 is pretty normal for high usage times.

I'll run mine (Seattle, WA) in a bit and see where it comes out and edit this with speeds...

I'm pulling 1.7Mbps download and 58.6Kbps uploads in Monroe, WA - about 20 miles off I-5. The closer I get to the freeway the faster the speeds get though.

Upvote 0
Isn't 700k max on Rev. A? Which would make the average area somewhere around 350k? Lower signal areas or high traffic areas should cut that in about half? I would think 140-160 is pretty normal for high usage times.

I'll run mine (Seattle, WA) in a bit and see where it comes out and edit this with speeds...

I'm pulling 1.7Mbps download and 58.6Kbps uploads in Monroe, WA - about 20 miles off I-5. The closer I get to the freeway the faster the speeds get though.

A Rev A data card can do 500 k up pretty easily. My old Novatel U720 could peak at over 1 Mb up. My old Touch Diamond could do 300ish. The Moment, for whatever reason, seems to hit a wall at around 140, which is around Rev 0 in terms of upload.

Upvote 0
Man, I wish my uploads would hit 140k... So far, I've tested in Monroe, WA - 58.6k, Everett, WA - 56.2k and Lynnwood, WA - 58.6k (all just north of Seattle)...

Seems like a minor radio tweak would be in order for the 2.1 update for me!!!

The tech also said a clean install of CL14 may help the issue - since "Sometimes flashing doesn't work right."

Right now in Monroe: 1x connection - 600k download - 57.1k upload... SAD! :(

OK, just installed the Speedtest.net program on the phone (was using Xtremelabs yesterday) and I am pulling 1.4 to 1.7Mbps down and .13 to .14Mbps up...

Question is, is this the phone/radio or the network being throttled down to allow for more consistent traffic across the network?

Upvote 0
3231488.png

Well upload speeds seem to be much better after the 2.1 update. Must be something to do with 2.1 natively supporting CDMA

Upvote 0
Even though I'm located in a city and right next to an Interstate hwy with 5-bar signal strength, my connection always results around 580kbps, 137kbps, and ping varies between 69-449ms.

In speedtest.net app, for some reason the nearest server shown under "Settings > Change Server" is Wichita, KS at 46mi, which is nearly 1000mi away. After changing server to a closer city, the connection speeds do not improve.

Does anyone know how to tell speedtest.net my correct geographic location?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones