• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories EVO car dock now available?

Sorry for the dumb question. I'm still a bit confused. Pretty new to car docks, etc. So you can't play music when it is hooked up to the dock ? Also, does it charge while in the dock, and if so, how without it being hooked up via car charger ?

Yes, you can play music, but the question is if the usb port connected to the dock would allow a connection to a stereo system that has a USB input. The answer to that was no.

Yes, there is a HTC charger, that should be included in the car kit, that you can connect to the base of the dock.

Upvote 0
Yes, you can play music, but the question is if the usb port connected to the dock would allow a connection to a stereo system that has a USB input. The answer to that was no.

Yes, there is a HTC charger, that should be included in the car kit, that you can connect to the base of the dock.

It doesn't come with a charger....just the dock and the sticky dash disc.....sukkie I know.

Upvote 0
Makes it a non-starter for me. USB can carry audio, too. htc should carry both charging and audio out to the base, so I don't have to plug or unplug and audio cable every time I put the phone in the car or take it out.

It's nice that the power cable doesn't move around when you rotate the phone, but stupid that the audio cable still does. Too half-a$$sed a solution for $65.

Do you have a ipod 30 pin connector in your car? If so, hers your solution,

IMAG0132 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I kinda had a feeling that usb wasn't going to work so I ordered one of those 2 weeks ago, works awesome...I love it, streams audio perfect to my nav, (the only feature that doesnt come on the pioneer avicx910bt I have) eBay $20....

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-A2DP-ANYCOM...98926219QQcategoryZ168094QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem

Reactions: quijibo and edwelly
Upvote 0
Looks well made and is probably worth the cost if you just want something to hold and charge the phone. But I'm looking for more than that from a car dock in that price range. I guess that's asking for too much!

If I'm going for the suction mount kind, it'll be used for rentals only. For that, I might as well get the one from Seidio when it comes out. Works with at least one of their cases, ext'd battery, won't block the camera, plenty of adjustments, and it's cheaper. Although it does look more "plasticy;" for temporary use in a rental, it'll get the job done.

Innotraveler Car Kit For use with HTC EVO 4G

And for something that will stay in my personal vehicle, I absolutely hate anything stuck to the dash or windshield. It's like it instantly lowers the value of your vehicle or something. :) So it's proclip for me! Their holder should be out soon. They'll have one that charges the phone, but looks way nicer when mounted since it clips to the dash.

Upvote 0
Has anyone confirmed that we can use our %25 Premier accessory discount when purchasing this dock? i was under the impressions that the discount was good for any accessory purchase from a sprint store.

Under the details for sprint premier it specifically states: " Accessory Discounts - 25% off accessories anytime at our Sprint-owned stores on any line of service on your account."

Upvote 0
If you guys need any of these, and can't get help from anyone, send me an email. Tony.Harlan@Sprint.com. You must be the account holder, must know your Sprint PIN number, and must communicate via email, but if you are eligible to bill to account, we can put it on your account and direct ship them.
Your 25% Premier discount will apply if you buy two or more accessories, if you are not premier, you will be eligible for 20% off two or more.
Accessories that are included in discount:

Car Chargers
Wall Chargers
Bluetooth Headsets
Battery Boosters
Screen Protectors
Cases
Solar Chargers
HDMI cables
Data Cables

Look forward to helping you out!
-T-

Upvote 0
That's awesome, good looking out.

If you guys need any of these, and can't get help from anyone, send me an email. Tony.Harlan@Sprint.com. You must be the account holder, must know your Sprint PIN number, and must communicate via email, but if you are eligible to bill to account, we can put it on your account and direct ship them.
Your 25% Premier discount will apply if you buy two or more accessories, if you are not premier, you will be eligible for 20% off two or more.
Accessories that are included in discount:

Car Chargers
Wall Chargers
Bluetooth Headsets
Battery Boosters
Screen Protectors
Cases
Solar Chargers
HDMI cables
Data Cables

Look forward to helping you out!
-T-

Upvote 0
Just went to my local Sprint store in Albany NY and gave them the SKU - They had no problem ordering it to ship to my house. Nice find, thanks for the help. I'd love to know why this isn't out on the Sprint store online yet, or other websites for that matter - seems a little backwards that you can order it at a store before you can online...

Upvote 0
I have never seen or even heard of this device but I just ordered one. Thanks for the info. My car has a built in iPod connection so hopefully this will work better than the AUX input.

Do you have a ipod 30 pin connector in your car? If so, hers your solution,

IMAG0132 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I kinda had a feeling that usb wasn't going to work so I ordered one of those 2 weeks ago, works awesome...I love it, streams audio perfect to my nav, (the only feature that doesnt come on the pioneer avicx910bt I have) eBay $20....

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-A2DP-ANYCOM-FIPO-BLUETOOTH-ADAPTER-AUDIO-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ190398926219QQcategoryZ168094QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem

Upvote 0
Makes it a non-starter for me. USB can carry audio, too. htc should carry both charging and audio out to the base, so I don't have to plug or unplug and audio cable every time I put the phone in the car or take it out.

It's nice that the power cable doesn't move around when you rotate the phone, but stupid that the audio cable still does. Too half-a$$sed a solution for $65.

USB audio is digital, not analog. So you'd need to add a DAC and a volume control included in the base increasing the cost.

Upvote 0
Its a dock, not just a holder. Its also a quality holder that is compact. Most of the universal ones are bulky crap. This one also comes with a charger (which those others dont) and it runs the wire through the base of the dock so you dont have to deal with it when undocking/rotating/whatever your phone. $65 is not asinine at all, a little high but given what it comes with and is the officially support one its not asinine at all.

So you could leave this dock in your windshield on trips and just pull the phone when you get out of the car. I will be doing this often as I travel and get rentals. The compactness of it and the fact that I dont have to deal with a cable every time I get in and out of the car makes it worth it to me.

The only thing that seems counter intuitive (and someone else pointed out about docks) is they put the opening on the bottom on the wrong side. It looks like it would cover up the mic so you couldn't use the phone on speaker.

USB audio is digital, not analog. So you'd need to add a DAC and a volume control included in the base increasing the cost.

Or plug it into a stereo with a USB input?

Upvote 0
I'm pretty positive the dock connects to the phone via the hdmi port; I just made the assumption, but I can double check. If so, phone holding plastic piece covers the USB connector.

The base of the dock itself has a USB connector... However, since it is going usb to hdmi, it does not mount the phone as a disk drive. Seems you're SOL if you planned on using this dock and playing music over USB.

Confirmed this on my car's built-in USB connector. It will jump into car mode and charge, but does not mount disk. AUX is still an option.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty positive the dock connects to the phone via the hdmi port; I just made the assumption, but I can double check. If so, phone holding plastic piece covers the USB connector.

The base of the dock itself has a USB connector... However, since it is going usb to hdmi, it does not mount the phone as a disk drive. Seems you're SOL if you planned on using this dock and playing music over USB.

Confirmed this on my car's built-in USB connector. It will jump into car mode and charge, but does not mount disk. AUX is still an option.

Hdmi has absolutely nothing to do with this dock, the phone won't mount the usb because of the way the usb is pinned. It's not set up to sync / do data, just charge.

Upvote 0

Certain? Because older HTC phones ONLY had USB ports. My old Touch had headphones that plugged directly into the USB port and if you wanted to user 3rd party headphones it came with an adapter that would have two ports, one for headphones and one for USB. There was no expensive converter or volume control in the little dongle.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones