• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Evo Otterbox Commuter Case Review

I got my Otterbox for my EVO yesterday and I am pleased with it. Like people have said about the plug cover. It could of been designed better, but overall I am pleased with the case and it looks great. I had the otterbox for my iphone and there was just too much rubber on that case. Atleast this is a good amount of hard plastic on this case to protect the phone. I give it 2 thumbs up!

Upvote 0
I picked one up the Sprint store today. The camera hole is slightly off on mine as well but I honestly didn,t notice until it was pointed out. The bigger issue for me is its much harder to flip the kickstand out with the Otterbox on. Not a deal breaker by any means but annoying. I can now lay the phone down on either side without worry, this makes me much more comfortable using it day to day as I do not have to pay so much attention to how I sit it down and where.
Despite a couple niggling issues I am happy with the Otterbox. It gets the job done.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I have both the otter box and casemate tough case ...and with out a doubt the case mate is by far a better cover....never thought the otter box would feel soo cheap and the silicone under the plastic case so flimsy...case mate is by far the best

I had both cases as well. The case mate would not stay securely on the phone. One side or the other would slide down. I sent the case mate back and kept the otter box.

Upvote 0
I picked one up the Sprint store today. The camera hole is slightly off on mine as well but I honestly didn,t notice until it was pointed out. The bigger issue for me is its much harder to flip the kickstand out with the Otterbox on.

I find it's much easier to get the kickstand out if you PRESS on the other side of the kickstand, opposite from the side that pulls out. It makes the kickstand stick out a little bit, making it much easier than trying to get your fingernail under it while fully seated. with or without a case it makes it easier.

Upvote 0
I find it's much easier to get the kickstand out if you PRESS on the other side of the kickstand, opposite from the side that pulls out. It makes the kickstand stick out a little bit, making it much easier than trying to get your fingernail under it while fully seated. with or without a case it makes it easier.

Great tip. Thanks that helps a lot.

Upvote 0
I have had the commuter case for 2 weeks now and overall I am not very happy with it.
The plastic is very slick and is hard to grip The rubber across the top, near the speaker, is very floppy and collects dust and dirt under it. And recently the rubber across the bottom of the screen will not stay in place ( i keep catching it with my thumb). And of course the bottom port cover is a joke. I do however like the raised buttons for the on/off and volume controls. I guess I just expected more from Otter Box.

Upvote 0
I returned my Commuter and waiting for the Defender. Honestly, I intended to do this from the start but wanted to test the Commuter against my Seidio Active. The Active even though the rubberized wears off easily I still perfer the feel of it. The Commuter was slick and the flap was really annoying. I never really noticed the camera hole being off, but after looking at my friends to see what you guys are takng about it wouldn't bother me at all. In the battle between the Active, Cummuter, Tough Case I think the Active (not limited) is the best of the three. I do however need more protection and hope the Defender will provide that.

Upvote 0
I've had my otter box for a week now and I just noticed that the camera hole is off center. I guess it's not that big of a deal but now that I know about it it kind of bothers me.

Yeah, I noticed that right away. Posted about it in this thread. I didn't return my case because of it but I would gladly send it back for an exchange if they gave word they fixed it. Although it doesn't affect the camera, it is a little annoying.

Upvote 0
Can someone tell me if this case slides in and out of a pocket or more importantly a leather holster easily? I have the Seidio Active and the silicone makes it hard to pull out of the holster so im returning it.

Just got mine. It seems ok coming out of the pocket. You have to remember it's a tad bigger so it's gonna be harder then a naked Evo.

As for the case itself. It seems decent, doesn't slippery at all. I like it and I got 25% off even though I wasn't a premier customer. I paid about $43 for this and my Epic's case. It's smaller and slimmer then the Epic's case. It's alot better then that HTC case I bought at Radio Shack.

Upvote 0
I got my Otterbox for my EVO yesterday and I am pleased with it. Like people have said about the plug cover. It could of been designed better, but overall I am pleased with the case and it looks great. I had the otterbox for my iphone and there was just too much rubber on that case. Atleast this is a good amount of hard plastic on this case to protect the phone. I give it 2 thumbs up!

I agree with you Dog. I bought a Sedio from Best Buy, you think the battery cover is poorly designed on the Otterbox, take a look at the Sedio case for the EVO. I returned it and bought a Commuter Otterbox. I love it! I used and Otterbox on my Black berry. I had that Blackberry for 2 1/2 years and it looks new because of the Otterbox.

Upvote 0
I've had the case pretty much since it came out and initially had no complaints. I think it makes the phone look a lot nicer that the Seidio case I bought from Best Buy. Someone pointed out the hole for the camera and mine is off as well, but I spend zero time staring at the back of the phone and it doesn't affect pictures so I couldn't care less about that.

One thing I did notice though is that it seems like the silicone case is getting looser. Specifically along the thin bottom strip below the capacitive buttons. It doesn't seem to stay put inside the plastic shell and snug as it did before. I think its a result of the way I remove the phone from my pocket. Hopefully it doesn't continue to get worse.

Upvote 0
There really must be something wrong to hold it from release this long.

The defender is just a more complex build than the other two cases. Not to mention that it includes a custom holster as well to further delay the process. I'm sure it's just a matter of having sufficient volume on hand to ship out to the various retailers in addition to having enough for their own online sales.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones