• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo Phone Bill - $40 a month

Transfered my plan over the the Relay plan yesterday, which makes it data only. I rarely talk on the phone so I don't need that many minutes. Then I found out how to use VoIP using a combination of Google Voice, Sipdroid, Sipgate, and Sipsorcery. So free minutes all the time, call quality isn't great and there is a delay with voice, using on 3g though so over WiFi it'd probably be better.

All in all, worth the $30 dollars a month I'm now saving.

I am deaf and have been checking out that plan. My problem is that I can't use my corporate discount. The rep doesn't even know if I can still get the corporate discount on my wife's evo (she's hearing). I'm currently have Family 1500 unlimited. If I can still keep the discount on my wife's downgraded individual 450 plan, then I will downgrade it. But if I lose all discounts, then I only save about 10 dollars a month in Relay Plane with 450 individual vs Family 1500 with corporate discounts. For what I lose, I can't justify doing that. At least, I can still use voice mail with Google Voice translating it.

Were you able to use Google Voice for your voice mail via VoIP?

Like you, I rarely use voice.

BTW, do you know with Relay plan, you can't use image and video with SMS? I thought it was kinda odd that we still have to pay the 10 dollars fee for Evo (cuz of high bandwidth usage) with the Relay plan (for low bandwidth usage). It seems contradicting.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Once you forward your Google Voice number to your SIP phone number, then Google Voice handles the voicemail part. I'm not deaf or anything, I just sent an email to the Relay people saying that I barely make any phone calls because my hearing isn't too great so its hard to use it and so I text a lot instead. Partially true, but only partially. They didn't verify it or ask any further questions, within a half hour my plan was switched over.

It took my forever to find out how to correctly do the VoIP part, I didn't realize in Sipdroid I had to put my Sipsorcery details there, not the Sipgate details. Just do a search and you'll find some tutorials on how to set it up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones