• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EVO Screen Scratch/Crack

Bogus7

Lurker
Jun 28, 2010
I was recently told by a Sprint phone "May I speak to a manager" guy that the EVO screen is Gorilla Glass, which he said, "Doesn't really scratch," even though I have a long crack on my EVO screen from just carrying it in my pocket with nothing else. (I've been so Honeymooning over it I haven't put it in my purse or backpack, or even in the same pocket as the headphones I use with it!)

My real question is:

Is there any way I can repair this?

The touch screen works fine over the crack, and I can't feel it with the pad of my finger, but it is noticeable when I slight my nail over it. It runs from the start of the glass on the top to over a third of the way down the screen, and shows some pixel reflection, especially on white backgrounds.

I'm willing to try at home methods, but do not wish to sand the glass down on the touch screen.

If it can't be repaired, does anyone know of any screen protectors that minimize the visibility? I've seen some that bubble on the screen, and others that are so thick they make the scratch stand out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Zagg's Invisible Shield screen protectors claim that they will cover the scratches as if they're not there. cant confirm that for sure but if its a crack, i need to get that fixed or replaced or the crack may grow longer to the end of your screen. look up local phone repair shops. hopefully they can help. I cant give you a guarenteed answer sorry. good luck though

Upvote 0
If it just happened carrying it in your pocket, that's not normal. You MIGHT be able to get it covered under mfg warranty but it'll be a hard fight. If nothing else, you have insurance on that line (they add it by default and you have to remove it yourself), then it will only cost you $100 for a replacement.

Upvote 0
I have a crack too! It's across the width of my phone about 1/3 of the way from the top. Everything works fine, but I am afraid of it getting bigger.

The screen was in my pocket for about a 45 minute period between not having the crack and noticing it, and all I did was walk around with it in my pocket. I have no explanation for why it happened, but some people suggested the heat caused it. It happened on the 4th of July in Washington DC, and it was pretty hot that day, but I doubt that is the cause.

I got my phone from Best Buy online. I was going to get their insurance, but since this happened, I cannot. It's $10/mo. and they would replace it for free. Now I'm going to call Sprint and get their insurance for $7.99/mo. but will have to pay $100 deductible to get it repaired. I will wait to see if it gets worse before I get it repaired because I don't want to be paying $100 that often.

I have heard of others' camera lenses getting cracked.. They called Sprint to complain, and eventually after threatening to cancel the service, the Sprint reps admit that for 30 days you could pretty much do anything to the phone and it would be covered under initial warranty or something... and then they get it fixed without charge. I want to try that, but I'm afraid of admiting there's a crack and them not fixing it for free OR giving me their warranty because it is already flawed.. I don't know their policy on that.

Best Buy told me my best option was to call, add the insurance, and then claim it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones