• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo video output and earbuds

vblick

May 18, 2010
For those of you who have experience with the evo can you answer these two questions:

1) When you have the evo connected to the HDMI input on your TV, do you have the option to project the phone display onto the TV or is it only for video?

2) I currently have an iPhone and have to admit that i like the music/phone controls on the headphone cable. Does the evo have anything similar with the headphones that come with it?

Thanks

I'm not sure how much this applies, but I played with an Incredible a couple weeks ago. I plugged in my iPhone headphones: the button worked for send/end and play/pause, but I couldn't get it to skip to the next track. The volume buttons didn't work at all, but I was expecting that.

I'm assuming that since the EVO and Incredible are so similar hardware-wise, that it'll be the same on the EVO. Having all the music and volume functions right on the wired headset will be the one thing I really miss from my iPhone. A lot of people have said to just get BT headphones if you want all those functions, but I'm a big radio person so I'm stuck with wired if I want to use the FM radio.

Upvote 0
Demo of HDMI out on the EVO: HTC EVO 4G (Supersonic) HDMI HD video demo

Unfortunately, from the demo, it looks like you will only be able to do video. (The video controls were still visible on the phone screen, but NOT visible on the big flat panel display.)

I'm going to be VERY interested in fiddling with this option, because I have 5 salespeople in the office that would be thrilled to run PowerPoint presentations on a clients conference room screen with nothing but their phone and an adapter cable. (And maybe a BlueTooth mouse? :) )

Special Note: The EVO doesn't ship with the HDMI cable, and it's a new HDMI1.4a standard cable called "Micro-HDMI". Again, the cable is a MICRO-hdmi cable, NOT a Mini. Micro="D" Type, Mini="C" type. Currently they are hard to find online, with Arrow Electronics being the only place I found that had any in stock ($8+$8 S&H) You are looking for a male to male, Micro-HDMI to HDMI, aka Type D to type A, cable.

Molex.com makes a Male Type D to Female Type A that's only a few inches long that I've decided to wait to get in stock. I want to use as an adapter for a standard (cheap) HDMI cable which gives more options for length and such.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones