• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Exchange ActiveSync pin removal for 2.2?

takirb

Android Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2010
S. Carolina
Is there an email.apk or alternate method of removing the security pin/pattern lock that's forced when you configure Exchange ActiveSync in Froyo? I found something on XDA, but it was earlier in the year and i believe it was only for 2.1. LockPicker is only for 2.1 also.

I'm rooted running Myn's RLS3 ROM if that information is needed...

Found it, worked like a charm too.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=729753&page=8

In case others stumble upon this post in a search, here's the "skinny" of it:

I chose to remove my default mail application, i don't care for the redundancy as the new email application works just as well. Choice is yours?

(Always make a nandroid backup in case something goes wrong when deleting default applications)

- Place the cm-email-signed_nosecurity.zip found in the post above on the root of your SD card.
- Use adb to remove the Mail.apk file located on your phone in system/app (Titanium Backup Pro may be able to do this, i find adb easier)
- Reboot into Recovery and flash the cm-email-signed_nosecurity.zip file
- Reboot the phone when flash is complete (5 secs or so?)

You should now notice in your apps that "Mail" is gone, and "Email" is now showing (goldish icon).

- Go to your Security settings and remove your pattern/pin lock (Security>Set up screen lock>None)
- Open up the "Email" application you just installed, and configure accordingly with your Exchange credentials (I did choose to "Accept all SSL Certificates" in case that helps)

It did prompt me after the initial connection that my Exchange uses Pin or Pattern lock for security measures, and asked if i wanted to continue. Don't be alarmed, after continuing it doesn't force you to create a pin/pattern lock like the original email app does. It just simply skipped the creation of the lock altogether after the prompt :cool:

**Disclaimer** I, nor the users involved in the link, are responsible for any repercussions from HR or IS/IT for bypassing their security measures/policies. Use at your own risk...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones