• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Exchange E-Mail Eating Up Battery

D

Deleted User

After setting up my Exchange e-mail, I've noticed that I'm going through my battery much quicker (dropped from full charge to 90% in less than 30 mins) and the battery itself is getting hot. Is anyone experiencing the same issue?

I have had Exchange setup for 3 days. I'm still seeing Exchange Services take a big chunk of battery. It is always first or a close second to screen in battery use. I have tried tweaking the settings. I tried changing from push email to update every 5 min. I even tried changing it to 10 min. I am synching email, calendar and contacts. I have it set to not auto download attachments. Are there other settings I should be looking at? I also turned off 4g since it's not available in my area yet. Phone is rooted, but I'm using stock ROM, kernel, etc. I ordered extended battery but it looks like it only adds ~15% capacity.

For those who have very low Exchange Services battery usage, can you post details of settings?

Upvote 0
Hey - you're not alone here. When my corporate account is setup my battery lasts about 3hrs with NO use at all (comletely idle). Exchange Services takes up about 80% of the battery. I even exchanged the handset to make sure it wasn't the unit itself.

Since I disabled it battery life seems to be normal (at least based on what others have posted). Only thing can think is that it's hanging on first sync and burning juice. I noticed that several of my calendar appointments were missing and never got to the bottom of it. Seems like a software issue that may be localized based on a companys exchange setup...

Highly annoying...Haven't been able to get Touchdown working on ICS as an alternative so figure I'm stuck for now...

- Mike

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if it's the sync time? I have mine on every 5 mins.

Are you guys set to "As they arrive".

i know you probably already tried that but i figured i would ask. I just find it hard to beleive that some it's a hog and mine (and others) it works perfect.

I'm going to change mine right now to test.

Upvote 0
I think my issue w/ Exchange Services using huge battery is resolved. I noticed (as did another on this thread) that certain calendar events were not showing on the phone. I had to go through my Outlook calendar and change any reoccurring events with no end date to have an end date. After that, the Android calendar showed all Exchange events, updated correctly and battery usage for Exchange Services has gone way down. I still don't have a full day, so I'm not sure how low, but I am sure it's gone down to a much more reasonable level.

Upvote 0
For those that have problems:

Have you checked Settings>Accounts & Sync>Exchange Account and see if you have the SYNC ICON instead of check mark?

Check Mark = It has completed Sync
Sync Symbol = White Sync moving means your exchange sync is in progress. I think this also shows in the notification bar by time, alarm, wifi, signal etc.

On my HTC phones sometimes this would hang and drain my battery. Sometimes it was a contact it did not like or a repeating calendar entry.

I would try this:
do not sync everything. Start off with just email, then let that for a while and see how battery life is. Continue adding services until you find what is causing it.

My bet it is a calendar entry.

Upvote 0
I think my issue w/ Exchange Services using huge battery is resolved. I noticed (as did another on this thread) that certain calendar events were not showing on the phone. I had to go through my Outlook calendar and change any reoccurring events with no end date to have an end date. After that, the Android calendar showed all Exchange events, updated correctly and battery usage for Exchange Services has gone way down. I still don't have a full day, so I'm not sure how low, but I am sure it's gone down to a much more reasonable level.

Wow - thanks for nailing it. I isolated it to Calendar last night by re-enabling Exchange but excluding Calendar sync. Battery life was what I would expect and a huge improvement from before.

Now my problem - i have a ton of recurring events and am not the organizer of them all. It will be a major pain to police this. Will give it a try though....

- Mike

Upvote 0
One alternative I read about but have not tried seems to be to synch your Exchange calendar with Google calendar, then synch phone with Google calendar. This does seem to allow one to leave reoccurring meetings with no end date, but it's not as secure because your calendar replicates to Google. There is supposed to be an app that syncs Google to Exchange both ways.

Upvote 0
Wow - thanks for nailing it. I isolated it to Calendar last night by re-enabling Exchange but excluding Calendar sync. Battery life was what I would expect and a huge improvement from before.

Now my problem - i have a ton of recurring events and am not the organizer of them all. It will be a major pain to police this. Will give it a try though....

- Mike

Same problem with exchange but I refuse to disable my calendar if that is really the cause - I need it for work. Google just needs to work this issue out. There was a problem with froyo and exchange when it was first launched.

Upvote 0
Yeah - i remember the issues. I actually had Exchange issues with my D1 and Eclair, so i'm not feeling very confident about Google getting a quick fix though hopefully it will get tracked somewhere. Seems like an easy fix.

I'm trying Touchdown but also having issues syncing there on the GN. Works fine on my D1 so not sure.

Being an early adopter is greeeeeeaaat....:)

- Mike

Upvote 0
I had issues with exchange services sucking up all my battery life and phone showing awake almost all the time for the first 3 days. I removed the exchange account, watched battery life for a full day and got 18+ hours and the phone awake started matching the screen on. OK so that guaranteed that the awake issue was related to exchange services.

I then added my exchange account back and it worked for two days with great battery life. awake continue to match screen on, so thought this was awesome, guess it fixed itself. Whoo Hoo!

Well, this morning now it's back to being awake all the time and exchange services is sucking up all the battery life... Tried pulling battery and still doing the same thing... Wish I could figure this out. Nothing changed for my calendar appointments (there are plenty of recurring apts with no end dates). These were present when it was working correctly so I'm not convinced this is the cause for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones