• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Exchange Mail Sync Question

TommyMac

Aug 19, 2010
I'm getting a security notice that I must accept in order to keep getting my mail.
It says it can perform Data clear, factory reset and monitor pw attempts etc.

Should I accept? I work for a Public Company, not private, I set the mail up myself we don't get phones etc.

Am I vulnerable if I accept to the eyes of my "IT Dept"?

It sounds like you have a basic IT policy in place on your exchange server. Normally this is a requirement for any device connecting to exchange. Usually the requirement is that the device must have a pin or password, but it can be more complex than that. Are you saying that you are the exchange admin, and you did not set this policy?

No , I just set me email up on my phone and it's asking me to agree to this policy all of a sudden? they can reset my device etc?

Upvote 0
Just like bringing a computer in to the office and plugging it into their network, once you connect, the device becomes their responsibility or network security. This is more common than you think. In most organizations, everyone uses a blackberry, and you just don't know that they have this access (they actually have a lot more control over blackberries when using BES). Either accept it, and deal, or disconnect your phone from their servers, and forward your mail through gmail or something.

Upvote 0
It's not a big deal other than you will have to set a pin that you will have to enter every time you get locked based on a time they set. Usually 5 to 15 minutes.

There are 2 goals to this policy 1) Secure the e-mail on your phone from prying eyes, and 2) be able to purge all the e-mail or completely wipe your phone remotely if it is lost or stolen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones