• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Experience cupcake the safe way

Ageless Stranger

Android Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2008
So you want cupcake and you want it now right?

Well you can go ahead, root your phone and chuck on a cooked ROM and run the risk of screwing not just your phone up but your warranty too. You still want cupcake now ?

Well you can experience cupcake without screwing your phone up and come away safe in the knowledge that your phone hasnt been touched during the process.

I have been playing with cupcake on the emulator for some time now, the on screen keyboard seems to work quite well, although the dot/comma key might end up frustrating me. Press once for a dot, twice for a comma. However there is a timer between key presses so if you want to write .... it might take some time to wait between key presses. There are "nice" things like being able to edit window and animation timings, but probably the most overlooked feature seems to be the "auto rotate" setting hidden away which seems to allow for the main UI to auto rotate based on orientation.

Oh there is a note pad application, a world daylight app and the ability to have "live folders" on your desktop.

I wouldnt put cupcake on my phone yet, but running it in the emulator has given me more "force closes" in 10 minutes than I have seen during the lifetime of my G1, and this is with an up to date build of cupcake.

We have some way to go folks, if you want to run cupcake then I suggest using the emulator

1. Download and install the android emulator
2. Get the cupcake build here
3. Unpack the zip file somewhere useful
4. Backup the folder /tools/lib/images (where you installed the emulator)
5. Copy the contents of the zip file to /tools/lib/images
6. run the emulator /tools/emulator
7. Enjoy your cupcake experience

legal disclaimer blah blah whatsit notice:
Dont blame me if your emulator falls over in a heap on the floor, coughing up the it's last dying breath. I can not be held responsible if the moon falls from the sky and squashes your pet ant because you didnt follow my instructions to the letter.

Update: andblogs.net hosts up to date builds for you to try (unzip as per 3-5 above)

Forgive my ignorance, but what am I missing here? I looked through this page (http://source.android.com/roadmap/cupcake) that seems to detail the new features with cupcake. Maybe I'm just dense, but I really don't see anything earth shattering here. I also loaded it onto my emulator, again not seeing anything drastic.

Does look like there's more support for audio/video files, and the video capture looks useful. I know I'm missing somerthing here..

Upvote 0
Forgive my ignorance, but what am I missing here? I looked through this page (http://source.android.com/roadmap/cupcake) that seems to detail the new features with cupcake. Maybe I'm just dense, but I really don't see anything earth shattering here. I also loaded it onto my emulator, again not seeing anything drastic.

Does look like there's more support for audio/video files, and the video capture looks useful. I know I'm missing somerthing here..

I kinda agree with you here, there isn't anything earth shattering about the new features. I can see a huge anti-climax occuring when people suddenly get updates and think . o O (Is that it?)

Upvote 0
So you want cupcake and you want it now right?

Well you can go ahead, root your phone and chuck on a cooked ROM and run the risk of screwing not just your phone up but your warranty too. You still want cupcake now ?

Well you can experience cupcake without screwing your phone up and come away safe in the knowledge that your phone hasnt been touched during the process.

I have been playing with cupcake on the emulator for some time now, the on screen keyboard seems to work quite well, although the dot/comma key might end up frustrating me. Press once for a dot, twice for a comma. However there is a timer between key presses so if you want to write .... it might take some time to wait between key presses. There are "nice" things like being able to edit window and animation timings, but probably the most overlooked feature seems to be the "auto rotate" setting hidden away which seems to allow for the main UI to auto rotate based on orientation.

Oh there is a note pad application, a world daylight app and the ability to have "live folders" on your desktop.

I wouldnt put cupcake on my phone yet, but running it in the emulator has given me more "force closes" in 10 minutes than I have seen during the lifetime of my G1, and this is with an up to date build of cupcake.

We have some way to go folks, if you want to run cupcake then I suggest using the emulator

1. Download and install the android emulator
2. Get the cupcake build here
3. Unpack the zip file somewhere useful
4. Backup the folder /tools/lib/images (where you installed the emulator)
5. Copy the contents of the zip file to /tools/lib/images
6. run the emulator /tools/emulator
7. Enjoy your cupcake experience

legal disclaimer blah blah whatsit notice:
Dont blame me if your emulator falls over in a heap on the floor, coughing up the it's last dying breath. I can not be held responsible if the moon falls from the sky and squashes your pet ant because you didnt follow my instructions to the letter.

Ok, I also have it running on my emulator and while I agree nothing new really wows me... The fact that android being less than a year old has already begun to advance at a pace unsurpassed by any other op.... think how little Iphone or Blackberry have progressed over the years, if Android does hold true to this pace all be it minor changes within 2 short years no other op will be comparable....

Upvote 0

Soft Keyboard
Video Capture
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH
STEREO BLUETOOTH

Looks like a long feature list to me. I can't wait!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones