• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help External Drive Possible?

mfwills

Jul 17, 2012
Is it possible to connect any sort of external drive (let's limit it to a Flash drive for now) to an Android phone via USB?

I am assuming it would require a female USB to male micro USB cable, if such a thing exists.

The real question is, would the phone recognize it as a drive to be mounted?

It depends if the phone has the hardware to recognize the drive in the first place. For example, my Note 2 can read flash drives via an adapter, or the new model flash drives with a microusb adapter built in. However my Galaxy V cannot. Normally, high end phones and mid range to high end tablets have this feature. Also, note that this feature cannot be activated by an app. AFAIK the hardware has to support it in the first place.

Reactions: svim and psionandy
Upvote 0
The feature is called USB On The Go (normally referred to as USB OTG). And a quick Web search says it's supported on the S4 (which I expected as other flagships of that period support it - I regularly use it with my HTC One M7).

You need a USB OTG cable, which is the adapter you were wondering about. They don't cost much.

Reactions: mfwills
Upvote 0
OK. I bought the USB OTG cable and have it connecting a 32 GB flash drive to my phone.

When the drive is connected to my computer, it clearly shows a movie I had hoped to take with me.

When the drive is connected to my phone, all I see is two folders (Android, LOST.DIR), neither of which contain the movie.

This is with either ES File Explorer or the native MyFiles app.

Any advice?

Upvote 0
Is this showing up for you?

Attachments

• ES-File-Explorer-OTG-USB-flash-drive.png
    ES-File-Explorer-OTG-USB-flash-drive.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones