• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

External SD naming

When I connect to the computer (Windows 7) to USB I get different results for the SGP 4.2 and 5.0 which is curious and have questions about.

1. Why do removable drives (E) and (F) show up versus one drive?

2. When I connect the 4.2 the external sd seems to be under E. When I connect the 5.0 it's under F. Both run Frodo so I would think they would behave the same. Why would there be a difference?

1) There are 2 areas of memory available to the computer, internal and external. They show up as different drives.

2) Windows is funny about external USB drives. Put the same phone into a different USB port and it may show up as a drive letter. You can use the Disk Management part of Computer Management (in Administrative Tools in Control Panel in Windows) to name your phones, as far as drive letter goes and, for the most part, it'll stick.

Reactions: hutgap
Upvote 0
When I connect to the computer (Windows 7) to USB I get different results for the SGP 4.2 and 5.0 which is curious and have questions about.

1. Why do removable drives (E) and (F) show up versus one drive?

2. When I connect the 4.2 the external sd seems to be under E. When I connect the 5.0 it's under F. Both run Frodo so I would think they would behave the same. Why would there be a difference?

Why are you running froyo on the 4.2 when you can upgrade it to gingerbread? My 4.2 is running 2.3.6 stock rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones