• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook Alternatives

Twitch2k9

Lurker
Aug 31, 2010
As we all know, the Facebook for Android app is amazing. Notifications work like they should, we can actually utilize the "Places" feature, the user interface is spectacular, and it puts the iPhone equivalent to shame. Right. So, until I can actually say that with a straight face, I'm going to need an adequate alternative - this is where you guys come in, what with all your experience and whatnot.

Most of the ones I've seen are just links to either the mobile/touch site, or are worse than the stock app (which is really saying something). I've heard of Bloo, but I've also heard the developer stopped, you know, developing it, and instead handed it to the public - and I have no idea how that worked out.

So, any suggestions would be great - I'd just like a working Facebook app that doesn't make me want to throw a perfectly innocent puppy through an incinerator. Thank you.

Reactions: m.munroe
Yeah, I mean I've been using the touch site ever since I first got my phone and it fulfills my basic needs, but I guess I just wasn't looking forward to it being my main medium - especially after being used to the app on my iPod Touch. Thanks for the input anyways, guys. Guess we'll just have to hold out a bit longer...

Upvote 0
As we all know, the Facebook for Android app is amazing. Notifications work like they should, we can actually utilize the "Places" feature, the user interface is spectacular, and it puts the iPhone equivalent to shame. Right. So, until I can actually say that with a straight face, I'm going to need an adequate alternative - this is where you guys come in, what with all your experience and whatnot.

Most of the ones I've seen are just links to either the mobile/touch site, or are worse than the stock app (which is really saying something). I've heard of Bloo, but I've also heard the developer stopped, you know, developing it, and instead handed it to the public - and I have no idea how that worked out.

So, any suggestions would be great - I'd just like a working Facebook app that doesn't make me want to throw a perfectly innocent puppy through an incinerator. Thank you.
Everything was working on Android 2.1 until the OTA update to 2.2. Sigh.

Upvote 0
I went to the internet and downloaded the new Facebook Mobil app from the Facebook.com site. It is version 1.3 and it replaces your existing version. Market did not have this version. My notifications are now working and I like the new format.

"Well, I took your advice and connected to Facebook from the Internet. I then clicked on download Facebook for Android device. It replaced the existing Facebook app and everything seems to be working well and the format of Facebook is even better. Thanks!"

Upvote 0

I'm sorry but Facebook for Android is far from amazing. Coming from Facebook for Iphone it sucks, there's no chat option.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but Facebook for Android is far from amazing. Coming from Facebook for Iphone it sucks, there's no chat option.

psst sarcasm

As we all know, the Facebook for Android app is amazing. Notifications work like they should, we can actually utilize the "Places" feature, the user interface is spectacular, and it puts the iPhone equivalent to shame. Right. So, until I can actually say that with a straight face...

Upvote 0

I use the mobile site and upload my photos via text or gmail. Log in from a computer and go to ACCOUNT SETTINGS and click the MOBILE tab. I just saved facebook as a contact in gmail so I can text or email.

Upvote 0
I went to the internet and downloaded the new Facebook Mobil app from the Facebook.com site. It is version 1.3 and it replaces your existing version. Market did not have this version. My notifications are now working and I like the new format.

"Well, I took your advice and connected to Facebook from the Internet. I then clicked on download Facebook for Android device. It replaced the existing Facebook app and everything seems to be working well and the format of Facebook is even better. Thanks!"
I tried going to the website and downloading it from facebook.com, but all it does is link me to the Android Market to the latest FB App version.

Upvote 0
I installed Bloo 1.5 and it's decent, but I've noticed that some of my notifications don't come through. I'd say I only receive about half of them.

I think Facebook has, once again, changed their notifications. I've noticed on the full web page that multiple notifications for a single item (say, multiple replies to a status update) are lumped into one notification. I don't know if it's messing with Bloo or not, but it does seem like Bloo's notifications are a little off lately.

It's so frustrating there's not a reliable way to get facebook notifications in the native notification bar.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones