• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook/Twitter apps vs. built in contact syncs

I've had the Droid Pro for two days now, converted from a BB Tour. Generally speaking, I much prefer the Droid Pro. The apps are great and the phone is SO fast compared with the Tour. Keyboard's okay, BB's is better. Wish we had a dpad for cursor positioning, even a software emulated one would be fine for when it's needed. Anyway...that's not what this thread is about.

The machine comes with some kind of Social Networking app built in. It's deeply integrated in to the whole "accounts" structure. And you have a widget for the home screen that lets you see updates and display them in a larger screen with a tap. Great.

Only I wanted to run the Facebook and Twitter apps. So I downloaded them. Problem is, they both immediately started syncing Facebook and Twitter contacts with my phone. Which would be grand, EXCEPT THAT I already have those contacts synced from the built in stuff.

The resulting chaos in my contacts was nauseating. :)

So I removed the apps. I would be fine with letting the apps live and handle the syncing, but I can't see to get rid of that Motorola Social Networking deal at all. And if I log in from the apps, the Motorola sync sees that and seems to jump right in. *sigh*

I'm using the Facebook and Twitter websites right now, but I'd like to run the actual apps. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Did you find a way around it?

Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones