• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FAQ: Front-Facing Camera and Video Chatting on Android

Hey guys,

Just wanted to have an FAQ thread for people curious about the video-chat feature on android. I know there're been a lot of threads already but I'd like to start a new one where I and others can get all the questions in one thread:

1) What apps allow chatting between android phones with front-facing cameras?
2) Can you video chat with a person who doesn't have a front-facing camera? If yes, what app allows this?
3) Can two android phones without front-facing cameras do video chat (meaning can they show each other what they're both seeing with the rear camera). If yes, what app allows this?

3 questions, simple ones in fact. Hope to get your feedback!

eldrinofsoalim

I think growing number of Android phones including the HTC Evo and Samsung Galaxy S have front-facing cameras, which means you should be able to use them to make video calls. Of course, in order for that to work, you need software that supports video calls — and the folks at Fring have launched the first app that does that.Fring is a multi-protocol app for Android, iPhone, and other devices that lets you chat and make voice calls to your Fring contacts as well as Skype, Google Talk, AIM, Windows Live, and Yahoo contacts. Many android users are using this apps for video chatting. You can easily use this.

Upvote 0
I see, thanks for the info bennypole.

However, do they all need android phones with front-facing cameras? Or will it work with one phone with a front-facing camera and the other without? Let me illustrate:

Phone A: WITH front-facing camera
Phone B: WITHOUT front-facing camera
QUESTION: Will these two phones be able to video chat?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones