• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fast charge with phone off

deftdrummer

Android Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2009
This may not be very new or exciting to most people, but I wanted to throw out there that the DX charges off the wall via USB when the phone is off. Perhaps other Android phones did this, but I went directly from the iphone to the original Droid and sorely missed this feature.

Well, it looks as though we DX users are in luck because the same is true for us when we plug in to the wall. I've only been charging for about two hours from the wall charger with the DX off and I'm already at 60%.

So nice of Moto to build in a charging indicator even when the phone is off. Loving this phone more and more by the minute.

My experience is a little different. Last week in particular due to a thread on battery life I ran my DX as low as I could before it started begging me to plug it in(10% life).

I plugged it in with power still on(had to receive calls)

It took just over 2hours to fully charge from 10% to 100%

Upvote 0
I've had the opposite result, when I charge from my computer it charges at the same speed and seems to last 2-3x longer than when I charge from the Wall. Could just be really crappy outlets since my house is pretty old with bad wiring, but I definitely have gotten much better results when charging via USB\PC.

Definitely not what most see. USB charging is quite a bit slower than AC. AC should fully charge in about 90 min.

Upvote 0
If your computer (USB host) does not grant permission than the output current to your phone via USB will only be 100mA. If it's properly configured (Droid X seen properly) than the output current from the USB port is 500mA.

The stock wall charger is rated at 850mA, so either way the wall charger should finish the job quicker than a USB port on a PC.

Upvote 0
I posted about this in the thread under the Accessories forum about chargers... a few nights ago my phone was pretty much dead and I charged it overnight with the OEM wall charger. It was only at 20% when I unplugged it in the morning. I bought a 2 in 1 wall/car charger for $10 at Walmart that charges it in about 2 hours to 100% from 10%.

I had suspected that my OEM charger was flaky/defective, which is why I just went out and got another one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones