• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Few questions about Android vs iPhone?

klopus

Jun 12, 2010
I'm seriously considering switching from my iPhone 3G to Incredible. Today I played for half an hour with Incredible. In general I'm more than impressed with the phone and with Android but there are few things that I depend upon on iPhone that I couldn't find how to do on Incredible. If feature is currently missing will it be included in Froyo? I'll appreciate your answers.

1. Can I have simultaneously multiple localized keyboards? To me it seems that Android allows only one localized keyboard at a time. On iPhone I can add multiple locales and when typing switch on a fly keyboard between English, Hebrew and Russian.
  2. Can I initiate a call (switch to Phone app) from within another app? On iPhone I can configure double hardware button tap to switch immediately to the Phone app no matter which app is current now.
  3. How Incredible's battery usage stacks against iPhone 3G?
  4. How Incredible's screen fares under direct sun? I'm very happy with this aspect of iPhone's screen.

Thanks!

There are certain apps that I believe will let you have different languages on the keyboard.

You can press home and it will bring up a screen that will contain the launcher which has the "Phone" option

Battery is about as good as any smartphone. This is more relative to how you're using it. If you're a power user, then don't expect it to last you 3 days.

Because the screen is AMOLED, it does not fare extremely well in direct sunlight, but is still usable. However, in lower light conditions, the screen is absolutely amazing.

Upvote 0
There are certain apps that I believe will let you have different languages on the keyboard.

You can press home and it will bring up a screen that will contain the launcher which has the "Phone" option

Battery is about as good as any smartphone. This is more relative to how you're using it. If you're a power user, then don't expect it to last you 3 days.

Because the screen is AMOLED, it does not fare extremely well in direct sunlight, but is still usable. However, in lower light conditions, the screen is absolutely amazing.

what he said ^^

with the iphone u cannot install any app that is not part of the appStore. with android u can find any apk and install it. that is androids biggest win over the iPhone. however for the features OP is interested in, he might be better off with an iPhone.

Upvote 0
I'm seriously considering switching from my iPhone 3G to Incredible. Today I played for half an hour with Incredible. In general I'm more than impressed with the phone and with Android but there are few things that I depend upon on iPhone that I couldn't find how to do on Incredible. If feature is currently missing will it be included in Froyo? I'll appreciate your answers.

1. Can I have simultaneously multiple localized keyboards? To me it seems that Android allows only one localized keyboard at a time. On iPhone I can add multiple locales and when typing switch on a fly keyboard between English, Hebrew and Russian.
  2. Can I initiate a call (switch to Phone app) from within another app? On iPhone I can configure double hardware button tap to switch immediately to the Phone app no matter which app is current now.
  3. How Incredible's battery usage stacks against iPhone 3G?
  4. How Incredible's screen fares under direct sun? I'm very happy with this aspect of iPhone's screen.
Thanks!

The double tapping of the home button; is this function still going to be present in iOS4? I thought that function was now programed to the "task switcher".

Upvote 0
As some have stated above the beauty of Android is CUSTOMIZATION. For example, the Swype keyboard, now open to the general public as a beta, is an innovative way of typing on the keyboard. It's not available on the iPhone (or Blackberry Storm, for that matter) because Apple won't open up its APIs and allow a third party to change its keyboard configuration. yes, you can choose other languages, but that's all within Apple's control. Swype is not, so Apple doesn't allow it. What's more, you can now SPEAK text, not only for search, but also for writing emails, etc., and I believe you can access those files in different languages.
The AMOLED screen, while not optimal in truly direct sunlight (a simple turn of the should will rectify the problem), is absolutely gorgeous. I'm curious to see how it stacks up against the iPhone 4's new display. In addition, new Android phone are coming out this summer with "super AMOLED" displays. Samsung and Motorola, I believe (don't quote me there).
In any case, here's what it boils down to:
1. iPhone 4 with only a few choices, such as 16, 32gb, black or white.
2. Android: on multiple carriers, multiple devices, multiple manufacturers.

I believe the choice is obvious.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones