• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Few questions

SqLeon

Lurker
Jul 26, 2011
Hi, I've searched these questions for quite some time and I'm lead to believe the answer is no, but just to be sure...

-Is it possible to update the Devour past 1.6, I'd use any methods possible
-Is it possible to use smoked glass on Devour(I've seen that you can't use custom roms on the Devour, but someone claimed to be able to use Smoked Glass)
-Is it possible to overclock past 600 Mhz(I've been unsuccessful using setcpu)

Thank you

1) updating past 1.6
I have currently been working on this topic myself and it was discussed in a previous post that you can get the phone to be reconized (by apps and the market) as a 2.1 OS. This was done primarily to flash the droid x bootstrap in hopes of getting a recovery available but, seeing that the devour is "locked," that was not possible. All in all, the only thing this accomplished was making a few new apps available in the market and making MOST i already had not work. So please, dont try it. Finally, to get to the answer of question #1, the answer is not YET.

2) You are correct. There are no "real" roms available and ive tried the smoked glass on a few friends devour's, bricked them, (got them PO), and then had verizon send them new ones. So again, dont try it.

3) Finally, #3. Using setCPU, that is the max. Again, i have a few friends looking into it and we r working on the possiblities. The probability is that anything higher, even on a cracked phone, could literally destroy the battery and the phone itself.

Hope this helped.

~Moto

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones