• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Fanatic

Android Enthusiast
May 13, 2014
Northeast USA
I've had this phone as my daily driver for a few weeks now(upgraded from the LG L70). So, I thought I'd give some of my overall thoughts on the device so far.

Design & Handling

Coming from the L70, the phone feels big(it's my first big screened device) and a bit thick(dimensions 141 x 72 x 9.9mm) but I've gotten used to the size and now the L70 feels a bit small.:p It's plastic construction feels solid with a good feel in the hand. The design is a bit bland but, the rounded corners and curved back give it an overall nice look. Above the display on the left side is a white led notification light that blinks every few seconds for notifications and is solid white for battery charging.

Display & UI

The 5inch display in the Fierce 2 is a 262,144 color, TFT display with a resolution of 960 x 540 giving it a ppi(pixels per inch) of 220. The display has surprisingly good color reproduction with colors looking natural, especially when compared to the warmer toned color reproduction of the L70's display. Texts and web browsing look reasonably sharp, easy to read and HD movies and games look great.

The UI(user interface) is Google's 4.4.2 Kitkat with light customization from Alcatel. Outside of some app icons and a white settings menu, the UI is close to stock android(wish one can change the number of home screens though). The UI feels fluid and responsive for the most part with only occasional hiccups. The phone comes with a 4gig ROM of which 2gigs are available to the user, but the phone has the option of making the external sd card the default location for app data.

Performance & Battery Life

The phone is powered by the quad-core variant of the Qualcomm's Snapdragon 200 processor(the L70 uses the dual-core version). Four Cortex A7 cores clocked up to 1.2ghz and the Adreno 302 gpu provide quick app launches, and smooth gameplay in most high-end games. The phones battery life with its 2000mah(milliamp hours) capacity is pretty good. I've been able to make through a whole day with moderate to heavy use(power user and gamer here) on a single charge. The phones charges quickly with the stock charger and cable, I've gone from 14% to 40% in a little over half an hour of charging.

Call & Camera quality

The call quality is excellent with voices coming loud and clearer than the L70. Voices over the speaker phone also sounded loud and clear. No complaints from callers about voice volume and clarity from their end. The camera shots decent if a bit washed out photos. In door performance is pretty good and the flash does a decent job of illuminating objects. The camera also captures up to 720p video(a big plus over the L70) with decent quality as well. One thing to note about the video capturing is that it tends to be choppy(stutter) in low lighting conditions.

Overall

As much as I enjoyed using the L70, I've felt that I just needed that better performing chipset and a bigger screen which the Fierce 2 has delivered so far. If you're in the market for bigger screened phone on a budget, the Fierce 2 might just be the phone for you. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Last edited:
A few benchmark scores for those interested.

Screenshot_2014-11-16-21-37-33.png

Screenshot_2014-11-22-13-33-06.png

Reactions: Angelic420x
Upvote 0
Are you having the problem with, it deciding to shut off when it wants to?

Mine had a few bugs. Mainly the touchscreen not responding to inputs sometimes, and the quick settings icon would sometimes be cut0ff or disappear altogether. Luckily, mine never had that reboot on its own problem. Is yours still having that issue? There's a firmware update available for the phone. Hopefully, that fixes this phone's bugs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones