• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Files disappearing, low space on internal card

Hi,

I'm having a weird problem with my internal storage. I had my phone rooted, with clockworkmod installed, but after trying some custom ROMs went back to stock (still rooted with CWM if I remember correctly). Now, I had a lot of pictures on my phone and a few important apps, so I made a backup of everything using Titanium Backup before doing this. I also had a large 'blobs' folder from CWM with a backup, which ate up a lot of space on my phone.

Recently I updated to Android 4.3. At one point, I noticed that all the pictures I've had (going back over a year to when I bought the phone) were gone, replaced with just a handful of pictures I took at the beginning of this year and Christmas. On a whim today, I plugged my phone in to my PC to check out the files, and noticed that my clockworkmod folder is now empty, and my pictures, blobs folder, and backup are all gone.

According to my phone's storage info, I only have 2.73 GBs of free space left, 7.18 GBs of which are miscellaneous files. Looking at those, the file usage only adds up to about 50 MBs.

I always attributed the low space to my large backups, but I can't see them, even with hidden files showing. All I can think of is that my files are still there somewhere, but for some weird reason, they don't show up. It might be possible that I deleted them for some reason and just don't remember, but that still doesn't account for the 7 GBs of used storage. Anyone have any ideas?

The file system for android changed in 4.2 so when your s3 got 4.3 its changed it.
mine changed a long time ago and tbh i still dont understand it but hopefully someone else can explain it :thumbup:

Basically i think if you use a file explorer youll find SdCard and SdCard0 (both internal), look in them for your pics in their DCIM folders

Upvote 0
The file system for android changed in 4.2 so when your s3 got 4.3 its changed it.
mine changed a long time ago and tbh i still dont understand it but hopefully someone else can explain it :thumbup:

Basically i think if you use a file explorer youll find SdCard and SdCard0 (both internal), look in them for your pics
Yeah, I ran into that while running a custom ROM with 4.3. But when I had it, my files were just moved to a subfolder. I'll take a look for that, though, thanks!

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones