• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Finally got sprint to swap my launch day EVO w/ screen separation

hey dude

Lurker
Jun 27, 2010
Firstly, old phone from launch day was 003 model. This was a preorder. I see people thinking that 002 and 003 correspond to some particular screen,etc. NOT TRUE. New phone is an 002. Light changing, screen look,etc. are all the same. It's a crap shoot.

1st phone - lots of light leakage, screen was flat on bottom left corner and raised a little on bottom right. Light leakage kept getting worse on the right bottom. Screen got high enough to be about the same thickness as my finger nail. Dust collecting, the usual.

New phone - All four corners are fully recessed below the bezel. Still have a little light leakage under the home button, but that's it.

Sprint customer care finally sent me a new phone after the jackass manager at the store seemed to think that the "little bit" of screen raise was a non issue. WTF?!?!? It's a new phone. The problem has been progressing since I got the phone. I can't even imagine what it'd look like in another month when they kindly give me a refurb.

Frankly, I'm still not totally happy about the light leakage but have since tossed a case on it anyways.

So, for the millionth time and posterity, don't waste your time trading a phone in for only light leakage only. Nothing will change. HTC has a terrible QC process and/or don't consider light leakage enough of a issue to spend the time and money on eliminating it. Wait for further info from HTC actually fixing the problem and trade in then if that ever happens (unless you want to just change phones until you randomly get a good one, but may get the crappy screen in the process).

Well I had to make a choice. Today was my day 30 and at about 12 pm, noticed my light leakage is now bleeding onto the screen. My wife's is not as bad but has been deteriorating at the same rate. So back to corporate store we bought them. Debra and I were the first Evos out the door June 4 so they remember us,

But no problems at all about returning, but of course we have to wait. Put us on a waiting list but said exchanges were bumped to top of list.

I told him I wasn't stressed at all. Will happily wait, just felt that the light leakage had deteriorated so bad, will have to take chances with new phones.

Upvote 0
Firstly, old phone from launch day was 003 model. This was a preorder. I see people thinking that 002 and 003 correspond to some particular screen,etc. NOT TRUE. New phone is an 002. Light changing, screen look,etc. are all the same. It's a crap shoot.

1st phone - lots of light leakage, screen was flat on bottom left corner and raised a little on bottom right. Light leakage kept getting worse on the right bottom. Screen got high enough to be about the same thickness as my finger nail. Dust collecting, the usual.

New phone - All four corners are fully recessed below the bezel. Still have a little light leakage under the home button, but that's it.

Sprint customer care finally sent me a new phone after the jackass manager at the store seemed to think that the "little bit" of screen raise was a non issue. WTF?!?!? It's a new phone. The problem has been progressing since I got the phone. I can't even imagine what it'd look like in another month when they kindly give me a refurb.

Frankly, I'm still not totally happy about the light leakage but have since tossed a case on it anyways.

So, for the millionth time and posterity, don't waste your time trading a phone in for only light leakage only. Nothing will change. HTC has a terrible QC process and/or don't consider light leakage enough of a issue to spend the time and money on eliminating it. Wait for further info from HTC actually fixing the problem and trade in then if that ever happens (unless you want to just change phones until you randomly get a good one, but may get the crappy screen in the process).

You were within your 30-day exchange policy. Who cares what the manager thought?

Upvote 0
The manager just had sand in his vag--.... uhh.... shoe. Tell them to kiss your grits next time, you're entitled to that exchange if the phone's jacked up. My screen is separating as well, and the light leak is getting up around the side of the bottom now, which tells me that the entire bottom of mine is coming apart. I'm leaving to go to Kansas on the fourteenth, so I'll see how bad it gets from now till then. If I can actually get something under the screen, oh hell yea this thing is getting replaced by another. Till then, its not bad enough to be a huge problem, though its still extremely aggravating realizing that the build quality on this phone is worse than that of my old 10 year old Nextel flip-brick. I paid basically out of pocket for replaceable junk at the moment.$483.78 out of pocket, to be exact. So far, this phone has made me realise that no matter how good it might seem, getting something newer isn't always better. As of now, the only three things better about the Evo from my Hero are,

1. Screen size.
2. Keyboard laziness.
3. Hardware specs.

Aside from that, everything is better on my old Hero. Too bad I can't return this, seeing as I gave my Hero to my mom in Kansas.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones