• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Find phone without phoning it

txrxio

Feb 4, 2010
My daughter uses my old HTC Incredible as an MP3 player and for learning languages on Duolingo, but she is always losing it around the house*. I can't call the phone since it doesn't have a telecom connection, but it is connected to the wifi.Is there an app that I can trigger via wifi to cause her phone to make a noise?

*Replacing the child, repeatedly telling her to leave it in the same place every time, and tying it to her wrist are not workable options.

As that phone doesn't have any data plan or phone service but it is in your home WiFi network, if you have that phone tied to your Google account you might want to look into Google Device Manager. GDM allows you to remote ring a phone through your Google account.
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6160500?hl=en

*Replacing the child, repeatedly telling her to leave it in the same place every time, and tying it to her wrist are not workable options.
I was going to suggest some other solution involving duct tape but that tends to create problems during bath time.

Upvote 0
Android apps for your protection (I use Cerberus)
Android Device Manager – free – remotely track your phone if lost or stolen – remote Factory Data Reset
Android Device Manager (Android) – enable capability on device
Android Device Manager (Website) – control device from website​
Cerberus – paid – remotely track your phone if lost or stolen – remote Factory Data Reset – remote take picture – remote copy text message log – remote display message
Cerberus (Android) – enable capability on device
Cerberus (Website) – control device from website​

Both have the capability of remotely causing the device to make a sound for location. The Cerberus alarm is really obnoxious siren that will sound even if the phone is in silent mode.

Some parents like the tacking history feature to keep track of an errant child.

I recommend that one of these be the FIRST app installed on EVERY Android device. I use Cerberus (and found out about it from another user at Android Forums).

... Thom

Reactions: txrxio
Upvote 0
Hi

You could maybe just set up an email account and send it an email with a loud notification set.

this is not a bad idea.
Have that Notification Sound to be a very loud and obnoxious song that can be heard anywhere.

I use "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" theme song.

that one is easy to hear anywhere in the house, or outside for that matter.

Reactions: txrxio
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones