• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Firebase, messages, tokens, etc.

23tony

Mar 26, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I'm wondering if anyone can point me to, or offer, a good overview of FIrebase messaging and the use of tokens and such.

I've been sending messages to my emulator for a few weeks using the token, but suddenly, yesterday, I got "Token retrieval failed without exception" and the emulator has no token. This has led me into a hole about refreshing tokens, saving and updating tokens, etc.

I can dig through everything I'm finding and will probably eventually understand what I need to do to make a truly seamless experience - but I'm hoping someone might have some information that will speed that process up a bit!

Thanks!

I suppose to clarify what the problem is:

I have a key that corresponds to the emulator. I actually can't remember and can't find the reference to how I got this value, but I put that value in the "to" field of the message I'm sending:
Code:
{
    "notification": {
        "title": "My Title",
        "body": "My message goes here"
    },
    "to": "<key>"
}

Now, suddenly, this key isn't working anymore, so it looks like something has changed. How do I make sure that this stays up to date so that my app can continue to send notifications to the same device?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones