• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Firmware Update on Rooted Inspire 4G

hyyyyy1

Lurker
Oct 13, 2012
Hey everyone,

About 6 months ago I rooted my inspire 4g using the advanced ace hack kit.

Everything went fine and still is, but now I'd like to update to the latest firmware whilst keeping my root/s-off.

From what I've read it seems either the update will fail or I will lose root, which I really don't want to do as it seems that the advanced ace hack kit has disappeared and I'm not very experienced in rooting phones etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'd like to stay as close to stock as possible while keeping s-off and root, so I would prefer to stay away from any custom roms that are more customised than that.

I'd really appreciate your help.

if you used the aahk,the result is radio s-off,and superCID,both of wich survive RUUs and OTA updates.

in order to accept an OTA,you need to be running the stock recovery,on the latest relese software,and have not modified it to much(deleting system apps can casue it to fail)

the easiest way to update would be to run the RUU for the most recent update,then re-install your recovery as a PD98IMG file in hboot,then reflash superuser root files in said recovery. this will get you the latest firmware(hboot and radio) as well as the latest software.

the other option would be to simply flash a custom rom based on the latest OTA.

at any rate,i would strongly suggest not to attempt taking an OTA while running any custom recovery-it can potentially jam you up,potentially unrecoverably. :eek:

Reactions: hyyyyy1
Upvote 0
ok,start by updating all your apps,and backing up your user apps with titanium backup or equivalent,and then make a backup of your current setup in recovery.

the latest release from att for the inspire,is gingerbread,sense 3.0,build number 3.20.505.52

-download the RUU from here: Shipped ROMs

- download a recovery. i personally recomend 4ext: PD98IMG_ace_recovery_ext_4.zip

but,if you prefer clockwork,here is a link for that: cwm-5.0.2.7-ace.zip

-download superuser: CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip

*make sure your phone is fully charged

sorry,but this method is going to wipe your data,youll have to resetup afterwards.

-the RUU is a .exe file,simply disable all programs capable of comuicating with the phone(htc sync,pda net,easy tether,etc),and then run the .exe as administrator,if your version of windows permits that.

-follow the onscreen directions and plug the phone in when instructed. it should update all partitions to newest firmware and software. when its done it will reboot.

-after reboot,you can skip all the start up stuff if you want. enable usb storage and put the recovery file onto the root of the sd,and rename it to PD98IMG. take this oportunity to double check the sd card format(right click,the properties) and make sure it is FAT32. just plain FAT,or anything else,and you will need to reformat to FAT32.

-boot to hboot,by either removing the battery for a few seconds,or uncheck the "fastboot" setting in settings/power,then turn the phone off. from a powered off state,hold vol down/power to get to hboot. hboot should find the file,check it,and then ask you to update. after the update,press power to reboot.

-enable usb debugging once again,remove PD98IMG from your sd,as it will prevent you from entering recovery. place superuser on the root of the sd

-boot to hboot again,this time select recovery after the writing flashes. when in your recovery,wipe cache and dalvik,and flash superuser. when its done reboot

*you are not rooted on 100% stock att 3.20.502.52 :)

i flashed it on my inspire this morning,it seems to run pretty nicely. holler if you have any questions :)

Upvote 0
scotty85
hi :)
I updated my inspire 4G and just now don't know what to do.
I'm on this step
-after reboot,you can skip all the start up stuff if you want. enable usb storage and put the recovery file onto the root of the sd,and rename it to PD98IMG. take this oportunity to double check the sd card format(right click,the properties) and make sure it is FAT32. just plain FAT,or anything else,and you will need to reformat to FAT32.

and don't know where to put PD98IMG file. I enabled USB Storage but when I'm going there I cannot find root folder...

Upvote 0
scotty85
hi :)
I updated my inspire 4G and just now don't know what to do.
I'm on this step

and don't know where to put PD98IMG file. I enabled USB Storage but when I'm going there I cannot find root folder...

there wont be a folder named "root". root just means "on the top level,not inside any folders".

so basically,when you enable usb storage,a drive will pop up on your pc. right click on this drive,then click properties. make sure you see FAT32 as the format.

now you can click on the folder to open it.drag PD98IMG to the drive,alongside of all the other folders and such that you see.

now you can eject that drive from the pc,change back to charge only mode and continue with the directions. as long as you are s-off,hboot will find your recovery file and install it. :)

Reactions: levani
Upvote 0
if you used the aahk,the result is radio s-off,and superCID,both of wich survive RUUs and OTA updates.

in order to accept an OTA,you need to be running the stock recovery,on the latest relese software,and have not modified it to much(deleting system apps can casue it to fail)

the easiest way to update would be to run the RUU for the most recent update,then re-install your recovery as a PD98IMG file in hboot,then reflash superuser root files in said recovery. this will get you the latest firmware(hboot and radio) as well as the latest software.

the other option would be to simply flash a custom rom based on the latest OTA.

at any rate,i would strongly suggest not to attempt taking an OTA while running any custom recovery-it can potentially jam you up,potentially unrecoverably. :eek:
Hey I m having HTC Inspire 4G at&t i want to update it but i dont know how to do it means how to root and update latest OS and all can someone help me?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones