• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fix for facebook sync with phone contacts

Tiger79

Lurker
Sep 11, 2009
After the update to Android 2.1 on my HTC Hero, like many other people, I had problems syncing my phone contacts to my facebook contacts. The process com.htc.bgp constantly force closed, and no linking could be made or is some cases only a part of the facebook contacts were synced.

Different fixes has been suggested by users online but none of them worked. But after a lot of trying, a combination of these fixes finally solved the problem for me. Now all my facebook contacts are available to link to my phone contacts.

Here's what I did and what you can try:

1. On your computer, go to Facebook

It's worth noting that the Facebook sync crashes also happen if you have a nickname in your name.

For example if your name displays to others like this:

John 'Wanyal' Smith

The Facebook sync will continue to force quit. The solution is to simply remove the 's so your name appears as:

John Wanyal Smith.

Upvote 0
Upgraded to 2.1 today. YAY.

At first my FB contacts synced up to F in the alphabet for some reason.

Tried all of the above and they resynced to E.

I'm gonna give it a day or so as I know in the past FB sync issues have tended to resolve themselves in time - will check back here and update over the weekend.

Thanks for the tips.

Upvote 0
It's worth noting that the Facebook sync crashes also happen if you have a nickname in your name.

For example if your name displays to others like this:

John 'Wanyal' Smith

The Facebook sync will continue to force quit. The solution is to simply remove the 's so your name appears as:

John Wanyal Smith.

Is there no way around that? My Name is Ryan O'Flynn, and I'd really like to keep my ' :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones