• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For previous storm owners that switched to the droid! Please comment!

Thomas184

Apr 8, 2010
Hey guys, got a question.

I have a Storm, I'm thinking of getting a droid to see what's it like, I do hear good things. Basically I would like to see how things are run on the Droid compared to the storm. Please people that hated the storm don't reply with the phone sucks. I like the storm has done a good job. Just want to try something new.

I know the browser is better and the phone is faster.

Txt or call ofcourse -Would like to know how the txt messages are sorted out.

Typing (using virtual keyboard) - I have an easy time typing with my storm both landscape and portrait modes. I know it's still going to be a little different.

Browser - I guess don't really need to know much about it since it's just a browser but if you would like to comment on it no problem.

Email - Ive read that it's cluster. As in what way? Not organized?

OS - Is there any lags or bugs that get annoying.

Messengers - I'm on msn messenger a lot. I heard an app did come for the droid just making sure.

bottom line is i'm very technically love gadgets!! I would like to know what to expect if I jump towards android. Don't want to get it and feel like its not much of an upgrade, but I'm sure none of you are going to say that.

Thanks for the help guys!

I had a storm for a long time. I liked it a lot. The storm is much better at email. However the droid is all around much more versatile. You will truly be amazed at how fast the droid runs compared to your storm. it is a much more fluid experience. i'm very happy i made the switch. But give it some time to get use to, you will like it after that.

Just to prove how cool the droid is, i wrote this whole post using the voice to text translation on the droid

Upvote 0
I had a storm since day one until the droid came out. I sold my unlocked storm for 200 on ebay so I really got my Droid for free.

The droid does not do email like a BB but that should be a general understanding. Every other gadget out there though works on the droid and the droid SMOKES the storm.

I have mine modded, themed and overclocked. No comparison.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with Ocman and Caveman. Nothing handles E-Mail like a Blackberry. It is what they were built to do.
I got my Storm on launch day. I fell in love overnight. Had my share of issues with memory dumps, random reeboots, etc. I never gave up on it tho.
I am a huge Google fan, so when Verizon released the Droid, I had a tough decision to make. I decided to get the Droid because you can return it within 30 days if you don't like it. A 1 month test drive was the thing that made me take the leap.

I won't lie to you. I have owned a Blackberry for 10 years. There was a big learning curve for me. First few days, there were so many differences, I doubted I would keep it for 30 days. By day 10 I was getting the hang of all the new stuff. By day 20, I was hooked.

I've never rooted, so I can tell you that even a stock Droid blew away the Storm. The device is fast, has a great screen, awesome OS, and free Google Maps with navigation. There is nothing cooler than to push a button and say "navigate to McDonalds" and 5 seconds later, have your GPS software taking you to the nearest one.

If you use Gmail, the email on the Droid will wind up being better than a BB because it connects directly with your mail. If you move, delete, read an email, it is like you are working in your Gmail inbox.

Overall, this device is awesome. I never thought i'd say that I am happy I switched, but I am. I don't regret it one bit.

If you need any feature by feature comparison, let me know. Happy to help get you to convert!

Upvote 0
Hey guys, got a question.

I have a Storm, I'm thinking of getting a droid to see what's it like, I do hear good things. Basically I would like to see how things are run on the Droid compared to the storm. Please people that hated the storm don't reply with the phone sucks. I like the storm has done a good job. Just want to try something new.
-Big fan of the Storm, but now a bigger fan of the Droid and Android o/s. In fact, bigger fan of the Storm than Storm2. Took my Storm2 back and got back on the Storm until this Droid bad boy showed up, which I still wasn't ready to jump ship and my Verizon guy talked me in to it. Seemed like Crackberry wasn't just a novelty term as I was real hesitant to make the move.

I know the browser is better and the phone is faster.

Txt or call ofcourse -Would like to know how the txt messages are sorted out.
-Text is simple and the same unless you were a big bbmessenger. I wasn't and saw no difference in text sorting. The cool thing about the Droid is the ability to call that person, send them an email, mms right from the messaging app, email, etc by touching the contact button. Call functionality and ease of use is also similar to Storm phone. No massive differences that make or break these applications.

Typing (using virtual keyboard) - I have an easy time typing with my storm both landscape and portrait modes. I know it's still going to be a little different.
- I had no issues learning the typing on this phone. I use an app called better keyboard and the voice recognition integration is amazingly reliable and accurate. The big difference for you will be the lack of "push and click" on the Storm. I really liked the screen with the feedback on the Storm, but with being able to set audible and vibrate options on the keyboard to help with your "feel", I got used to the Droid keyboard faster than I did on the Storm (coming from integrated BB keyboards).

Browser - I guess don't really need to know much about it since it's just a browser but if you would like to comment on it no problem.
-You will be surprised at how much more you will enjoy the browsing experience. I don't know why the pinch to zoom was such a must have (don't get me wrong, it's a great feature), but coming from the Storm, the zooming functionality, browser load speed, performance and navigation was an overwhelming treat. I didn't think I would use the browser that much, but found I use for way more than I thought possible.

Email - Ive read that it's cluster. As in what way? Not organized?
-This would be the crutch, if you will. It's the Google cloud and since Gmail is at the center of it's usefulness, functionality, trials, errors, troubles, ease of use; it is what it is. Blackberry was and is the king of email. Period. However, once you get it set up and depending on your needs, I don't find it evil in the bit. I use a program called CompanionLink, which is pricey - but I know I've spent more on sillier things, and it syncs my home Outlook, Gmail and phone. It's awesome. I like being able to access my contacts, trash, sent mail from anywhere where I don't feel like using my phone and have grown to like it. Again, it has a great deal of work in functionality options (ability to download attachments, forward emails without the ability to clear the forwarded "clutter", etc.). But there are some incredible minds out there with developing skills and it's just a matter of time before the workarounds come - just like they did with the Blackberry (cut, paste forward app was a favorite of mine for Blackberry)

OS - Is there any lags or bugs that get annoying.
-There is always something, but they are quite minimal. However, the speed and integration of 10,000+ apps with minimal or no issues is amazing. I very rarely battery pull (which used to be a every other day habit with the Storm - Quickpull Pro anyone?). I might reboot once a week or whenever I think I need it, which I probably don't, but it makes me feel better because of old Storm habits. Again, there are permission application fixes out there and the ability to root and flash gets easier and easier because the great apps and developers that continually come out of the woodworks. The good ones are also incredibly patient.

Messengers - I'm on msn messenger a lot. I heard an app did come for the droid just making sure.
-There are a few MSN messenger apps out there (MSN Talk and MSN Droid seem to be pretty popular)

bottom line is i'm very technically love gadgets!! I would like to know what to expect if I jump towards android. Don't want to get it and feel like its not much of an upgrade, but I'm sure none of you are going to say that.
-I am also a gadget junkie. I went through BB's as quick as they would come out (sick and wrong I know, but had the connections and enjoyed the perk). Out of all the BB's, again the Storm was without question my favorite. In fact, I'm still a big fan of the Storm. However, the Droid (and Android especially) is just simply awesome and a true machine. The only thing I will say that originally drew me to the phone was the pull out keyboard, which I know almost never use. If Motorola made the phone with a better pull out keyboard, I would easily say it's the ultimate all in one phone with almost no drawbacks. Some like the keyboard, some don't. It's all user preferences. I have not looked back since rolling to the Droid last November and my Verizon guy told me this might be the longest I have actually kept the same phone, so I don't know if that's sad or encouraging.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
I loved my Storm except for the routine lockups requiring a battery pull.

I do love my Droid, but there are a few things I miss when I compare the two devices...

1. Brighter notification LED so I can leave my phone muted but still actually notice when a message comes in.

2. Blackberry Messenger

3. Making a handsfree outgoing call from my Bluetooth earpiece (EPIC fail IMHO).

As far as typing, I found that using Swype is faster and more accurate than trying to use the physical keyboard (more fun too), but I like having options.

Wouldn't go back if you paid me. Try it out, you'll be glad you did.

Upvote 0
I had a Storm 2 initially before I got my Droid. It outperforms the Droid in only two ways: Email AND Calendar. The Droid cannot accept .ICS appointment invitations. I'm not sure why Google has overlooked this on the droid since Google Calendar uses this online. Looks like somewhere the left hand did not talk to the right hand. Anyway, the Droid's email and calendar are ADEQUATE, which IMHO makes the Droid more of a play toy than a business tool.

That said, let me make a couple things clear:
1. IT'S ONE HELLUVA TOY!!!!!!
2. YOU COULDNT PAY ME ENOUGH TO THROW MY DROID AWAY TO GO BACK TO A STORM 2.

The rest of the Droid is just that good!!!!

Upvote 0
Now that I started to get a hang of my Droid, I think I can comment. ;)

I made the switch from the Blackberry Curve 2 (a POS by the way), to the Droid 3 days ago.

I've never had hands on experience with the Storm, but I can tell you from one ex-Blackberry user to another, I've made the right decision with the Droid.

For me, the touch screen keyboard was difficult to get use to, as I've had a QWERTY physical keyboard ont he Curve 2. This is still my biggest challenge to date.

When my Droid arrived, Gmail was having issues with their push mail. I wasn't auto-syncing with Gmail for about 48 hours. You can still access Gmail, but have to manually refresh. Not a huge deal, but I wasn't use to it coming from a Blackberry.

Gmail is working properly now, so overall, I am very happy with the Droid. Some of the apps you can download are eye-opening. For example, Moto-Torch, an app that turns the camera flash into a flashlight. You can type in a text and it'll flash as morris code!!! Useful? Probably not. Cool? Awesome? Definitely!

Good luck with your decision.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones