• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For those of you with excellent battery time...

OK, this morning is a prime example. I unplugged my phone at 7 am. I've not used my phone AT ALL and waited to check email when I got to the office. 2+ hours later, I check my phone, and its down to 85% without my even using it. So, I checked battery use in my settings, and Android OS is at 54%, while everything else is in the low single digits %.

So the Android OS is using over half of the battery just......BEING? Isn't that like me sleeping (doing nothing but breathing) and using up half my energy even doing nothing, and waking up even more tired?

I've turned off all monitoring stuff so that no background syncing happens, but only syncs when I turn on an app and actually need to use it, except Gmail. What is the Andoid OS really doing?

It really sounds to me like you got a bad phone. I know you said this is your 2nd phone but it is possible you got 2 bad ones. Id go for another one if I were you just to be on the safe side. Good luck man

Upvote 0
It really sounds to me like you got a bad phone. I know you said this is your 2nd phone but it is possible you got 2 bad ones. Id go for another one if I were you just to be on the safe side. Good luck man

I'm hard pressed to think I got 2 bad phones. While plausible, I think unlikely. I'm thinking a common denominator is a bad app. I will meticulously go through each of my apps and delete and reinstall.

BTW, for whatever reason, I have kept my same routine today, but my phone is acting really good! Unplugged at 7 am and still running at 70%. Better than average for me.

Upvote 0
I'm hard pressed to think I got 2 bad phones. While plausible, I think unlikely. I'm thinking a common denominator is a bad app. I will meticulously go through each of my apps and delete and reinstall.

BTW, for whatever reason, I have kept my same routine today, but my phone is acting really good! Unplugged at 7 am and still running at 70%. Better than average for me.

I think there is an update for the high android bug that is killing your battery. I remember reading something when I used to have a nexus that it was having that same issue and was killing the battery super fast.High Android OS = bad battery life? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
I know that is a different phone but it seems to be something some are experiencing and hopefully and update can fix it.

Upvote 0
OK, this morning is a prime example. I unplugged my phone at 7 am. I've not used my phone AT ALL and waited to check email when I got to the office. 2+ hours later, I check my phone, and its down to 85% without my even using it. So, I checked battery use in my settings, and Android OS is at 54%, while everything else is in the low single digits %.

So the Android OS is using over half of the battery just......BEING? Isn't that like me sleeping (doing nothing but breathing) and using up half my energy even doing nothing, and waking up even more tired?
Be careful how you're looking at that number - the OS didn't use half of the battery, or else you'd be at 50% or less. The OS used half of the consumed battery amount, or about 7% total (half of the 15% you're down).

If you've done nothing with the phone, then I wouldn't think that the OS taking up about 50% of the consumed battery would be out of the ordinary. But dropping 15% overall in 2 hours with no use does seem a bit much.

Upvote 0
I keep 4g and GPS on at all times. I use verizon wifi auto on app to turn on wifi when I enter my home and work. I use a smart action to disable sound and data during my sleep hours. Screen brightness on auto. Notifications/emails/social/etc. are set to update no sooner than 1 hour...some set at 2 hours or manual...DO NOT FETCH (my opinion).

Moderate user and my battery easily lasts all day.
I run it down to at least 20% once a week if not more, power it off and full charge over night.

Coming from a DX w/ ext battery, the MAXX destroys the DX battery life.
Lovin it.

Upvote 0
Just as a point of reference...
I last charged my Maxx last Saturday night and it has been on every day since then without a charge (now 16:45 on Thursday). I currently have 7% remaining. The phone is off at night but back on every morning. When at home or work, it rolls over to the local wifi and switches off gps, BT, and cellular data line. Brightness is fixed at around 40%, which seems plenty to me. I don't see the point in leaving it in 4G mode to talk on the phone and collect email, so I put a toggle on the home screen to easily turn 4G on when I need it (mostly just for browsing).
I wouldn't say I'm yacking on the phone constantly, but seeing as I just got the phone last Friday, I think you can imagine how often the thing is on, loading apps, creating widgets, etc. So "display" and "wifi" are my greatest battery consumers. Plus I am checking email fairly regularly as it gets pushed to the phone from three different accounts.
So, I have gotten 5 days (12 hr days) in a row on this last charge. I am definitely *not* complaining.

Upvote 0
After the update, my battery life has improved amazingly. I used to unplug in the morning after an hour, my phone would be down to 90% or 88%. Right now I'm on hour 13 and I'm still at 73%!

I also began using an app called Easy Battery Saver at about the same time. I use my phone about the same but WOW. I could uninstall for a day to see if it really is just the update, but, naaaah.

Upvote 0
to get great battery life , when im at home i turn off the 4g radio and use cdma only, and then use a data widget to turn off all cellular data, i however turn wifi on and that helps me go most of the day w/o using much power, on the road i turn cell data on, but most places i go work, home and barnes and nobel have wifi. I also have auto brightness on, gps off, gmail sync off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones