• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Force close errors

Crazy stuff. I have been noticing force close errors in multiple programs, gmail, google, maps, etc. Factory reset seems to not solve it.

Last night went to bed, got up and a few minutes after waking phone up, had another FC error, and lost my google account and had to re-enter my google account.

Any ideas when factory reset does nothing? Maybe a recent update or something? Running barebones as far as apps.

Sounds like you have a bad app. One of your programs is doing this. Try to go one by one and until you figure out which it is.

The app itself could be the issue or it could be just the update to an app. I had similar issues with one of the older google maps updates. Once I figured out what it was I just undid the update and all was well again.

Dave

Upvote 0
The idea behind the link above which stueycaster posted is that doing this through Odin takes you back to the OS Froyo which is what the phone had when it first came out-then you should take the upgrades clean without installing any apps in between. If you just restore then you are just restoring to the latest FP5 build which may have contracted an error along the way during one of the 2 updates. For a purely clean install, I would connect the phone to a pc and go into the SD card, and delete every file/folder except DCIM, Music, and Media. This includes deleting the hidden files which you can see by clicking in windows explorer Organize>Folder Options>View>Show Hidden folders and drives. Doing this will delete any info an app has stored on your phone that may be causing an error while not deleting the files DCIM, Music, and Media will save pics taken by your camera and music and ringtones you may have saved. Make sure you sync everything including contacts with google before you do this.

After doing this, do this which is the same thing Stueycaster posted but with Pics. If you want to stay stock (Not rooted) then just follow the instructions for returning to stock.

Upvote 0
Well, I've tried everything at this point. I've installed Tweaked 3.0 and it worked fine for a few hours and then started randomly restarting and turning off. I'm going back to stock and getting rid of it.

I'm sick and tired of dealing with the Droid Charge....not wasting any more time trying to figure out why its so buggy.

This is the ONLY droid that I've ever had this many problems with.

Upvote 0
When you went back to stock did you odin EP4D plus the pit file?

I've done it both ways. Doesn't matter if it's stock or a custom ROM. I'm now at the original stock FP2 I guess you'd call it....and it still force closes different programs. Regardless of which one it is....I'm just fed up with the whole problem. As soon as I can sell it I'm changing to a different phone.

I know, Android phones do that occasionally, but the Charge has really been horrible. Whether its a combination of bad apps or what, who knows. Even when I leave it pretty much at stock, the google apps seem to error out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones