• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Formatting SD Card

Spacemonkey

Sep 17, 2009
I have two SD cards, one of which (the original 2gb) is working fine with my Hero, but the other one (sandisk 6gb) is causing battery issues.

If I use the Hero to format the "faulty" one, will it format the whole card or will it do the same but then "install" any Hero-specific data to it?

Unfortunately my Hero won't mount to any PC so I can't take any data of the card (or format it using the PC), so I just want to be sure that if I format it using the phone, I'm not going to mess anything up.

Cheers

SM

I have two SD cards, one of which (the original 2gb) is working fine with my Hero, but the other one (sandisk 6gb) is causing battery issues.

If I use the Hero to format the "faulty" one, will it format the whole card or will it do the same but then "install" any Hero-specific data to it?

Unfortunately my Hero won't mount to any PC so I can't take any data of the card (or format it using the PC), so I just want to be sure that if I format it using the phone, I'm not going to mess anything up.

How is the 6g SD causing battery issues?

If you use the Hero to format the card, you will end up with an empty SD. So you'll lose any of the data on the card. It wont install any Hero specific data.

The lack of ability to mount your phone is really more of an issue to me than anything else you have mentioned. Unless of course you know exactly why its not properly mounting. If not, you might want to try resetting your phone, and if that doesnt work perhaps return it.

The data on the 2g card that came with it has HTCs Sync program on it. You can get this from their website. Some cheesy music, and the wallpaper. IMO the wallpaper is really the only thing you might miss.

Upvote 0

Actually I had a similar experience with mounting my Hero to the PC. I use a 64-bit Windows 7 and the first time I install HTC sync, there're some errors and some drivers cannot be installed correctly. So after checking out the web, I found a solution. Without uninstalling HTC sync first, I applied the solution. HTC sync works but not mounting the drive. Then it took me days to figure out that I just have to uninstall HTC sync completely and re-install again (with the solution) and everything work correctly afterward.

I don't know if we faced the same problem. But I hope it helps.

Upvote 0
Actually I had a similar experience with mounting my Hero to the PC. I use a 64-bit Windows 7 and the first time I install HTC sync, there're some errors and some drivers cannot be installed correctly. So after checking out the web, I found a solution. Without uninstalling HTC sync first, I applied the solution. HTC sync works but not mounting the drive. Then it took me days to figure out that I just have to uninstall HTC sync completely and re-install again (with the solution) and everything work correctly afterward.

I don't know if we faced the same problem. But I hope it helps.

I'm running Vista Business 64bit so I'll so an uninstall/reinstall and see what happens.

Cheers

PS spoke to HTC yesterday and they said this is not a recognised fault, therefore HTC don't have a public fix for it. Given the number of threads on multiple forums regarding this, I'd say it's common enough to be a PITA and require research from HTC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones