• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FOURSQUARE not updating

SourPatchKid

Apr 11, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I use Foursquare semi religiously. I like it it's helped me explore my new city.

However, lately I'm not getting points for checkins because it's got my GPS location stuck at the mall down the road from my house. And I can find locations that I'm at, but because it thinks I'm still near the mall it says I'm too far away to get my frackin' points!

Suggestions for a solution?

Reboot = off and on.

Is it only Foursquare that is being effected or does it also effect other apps that use GPS? If only Foursquare I suggest you try clearing the app cache in Settings > Applications > Manage applications (wait half a decade for it to load) > Find the Foursquare app > Use the clear cache/data buttons. Then give it a re-boot and see how things go.

Upvote 0
I'm not having that exact problems, but most of my checkin's (well at least for all the ones today) are not posted on the website. It's posted on my Twitter & Facebook, but when I got on the app or the website, it'll say my last checkin but not all of my checkins that I've had today. Especially the ones starting later in the afternoon.

I know for a fact that I'm not cheating or anything because I'm on vacation in DC, and I'm jumping from museums one to another and they're not showing up. =\ Yes, I'm a FourSqaure addict... but everyone is an addict of something right? Haha..

Anyone have any insight or help, please?

Upvote 0
Same problem here with Moto Atrix 4G. All other GPS apps like google maps and facebook work, but foursquare gets stuck on an older location -- or sometimes a location I visited earlier in the day where I never even launched the foursquare app.

I have so few friends using it, and I've only gotten one special offer since using it for two months.... so if I open it up and the location is wrong, why bother? Clearing cache and rebooting sometimes works, but why waste the time fixing it?

Upvote 0
Same problem here with Moto Atrix 4G. All other GPS apps like google maps and facebook work, but foursquare gets stuck on an older location -- or sometimes a location I visited earlier in the day where I never even launched the foursquare app.

I have so few friends using it, and I've only gotten one special offer since using it for two months.... so if I open it up and the location is wrong, why bother? Clearing cache and rebooting sometimes works, but why waste the time fixing it?
I've got the identical problem and it's really irritating...

The only way I can manage to get the location to work is if I find a Wi-Fi connection. It seems to make the location change then. Even so, if I turn on wi-fi and check in, then turn off wi-fi, it will reset to a location miles (even hundreds of miles) away.

Upvote 0
So this isn't just a recent thing with my Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name WTFROFLBBQ phone. Good to know, but still a PITMFA.

While my phone occasionally - OK, frequently - needs a kick in the GPS by reseting the cache with GPS status to get a lock, Foursquare has a crazy tendency to think I'm at work in one place and refuses to check me in to places 15-20 miles away. Google Maps is spot on and if I look at the map page within Foursquare, it shows the blue dot where I actually am in the world, but only shows me what's around my workplace for check-ins. Despite knowing where I actually am, it can't translate that into usable location info.

What's really weird is how erratic it is about being wrong. In addition to the work fixation, I find it a mile off when I'm trying to check into the store behind my apartment complex, but when I'm 100 yards away in my place, it is spot on as to how far those stores are. I've tried to check into my Costco's gas pumps or the store from the parking lot and it has no idea where I am, but while sitting at the food court, indoors, it is precise in its location.

While Foursquare is the worst offender, Gas Buddy and Groupon Now frequently act up in the same manner; I just see them less because I use them once or twice a week at most instead of a few times a day. I wonder why it's locked into my work? The only thing I can think of is that I used to have it as the default location on my Google Maps (website) and it may've stuck across other programs (i.e. if you can't be sure where you are, then go with the default) though clearing the default on the map and caches on the apps hasn't reset things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones