• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root franco kernel always has 2 cores "offline"?

cad2blender

Aug 30, 2012
I have the latest Franco kernel and noticed that not all my cores are being used. I know that Franco kernel will only uses them all once the load passes a certain threshold. I played a few games thinking it would run all 4 cores and nope, only 2 cores. I played HD video and nope, only 2 cores. Is this normal? Are there certain apps that will make use of all 4 cores? Just so I can test that I'm not always limited to just 2 cores? If it always locks then I'm going back to the stock ROM.

Nexus 4 running 4.2.2 with r163 kernel

FrancoKernel is a great kernel and is tuned to do everything you've described. It will use four cores if the load is heavy. If you have his app, you can lower the threshold the 0 and all fours cores will run all the time. Some people lower it to 50; default is 70. It is set this way to offer maximum performance/battery life.

And besides, most apps aren't optimized for, or need to be running on, all four cores.

I don't change anything. I just flash and go.

Good luck,

jmar

Upvote 0
FrancoKernel is a great kernel and is tuned to do everything you've described. It will use four cores if the load is heavy. If you have his app, you can lower the threshold the 0 and all fours cores will run all the time. Some people lower it to 50; default is 70. It is set this way to offer maximum performance/battery life.

And besides, most apps aren't optimized for, or need to be running on, all four cores.

I don't change anything. I just flash and go.

Good luck,

jmar

Exactly what Jmar has just said. I flash and go as well. I do however tend to stick to Milestone builds instead of nightlies. I havent had that much luck with them and tend to get random reboots. (Which can be attributed to OC'ing.)

Speaking of which. I have very little luck with OC'ing the N4. Usually at some point it WILL reboot during the day and most of the time it will be multiple times. BUT, out of all the benchmarks I have done with this phone and all the kernels I have tested out, Franco running at STOCK has always produced a 22K on Antutu. That's impressive especially when "other" kernels can't come close to that when they are OC'd to the max.

Plus you have FULL color control with the Franco. I've personally not tried another ROM that allowed Gamma adjustments. I loathe the "stock" color spectrum and I feel the ONLY way to get the phone to a decent color pallet is with gamma adjustments. It needs to be a little darker with some colors cause they whites can blur together and look fuzzy.

Anywho, just wanted to chime in and add to what Jmar already said. I HIGHLY suggest buying the app to go along with Franco's kernel. The app is by far amazing and just complements the entire greatness of his kernel. :D

Reactions: Rxpert83 and jmar
Upvote 0
That's what this conversation is about. If the cores aren't needed they are off.

That's a good thing and completely normal :thumbup:

OK good.
Edit this what you were saying :)
apuga8ym.jpg

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones