• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free e-book from a new author

SlowRain

Oct 11, 2010
a Canadian expat in Taiwan
I'm not sure what the policy on here is regarding free e-books. There is a new author (not me) who has just a fantasy novel. Like Terry Brooks, he is a lawyer and a Tolkien fan. I know there are a lot of fantasy fans on here, but I'm not sure how many Tolkien or Brooks fans there are.

The author is giving away 300 free copies in an attempt to build up a bit of publicity (this is actually quite common with e-books). You have to register on his blog and post your request in the "Giveaway" thread. He will then email you a coupon for a free download on Smashwords. The only real catch is he'd like you to write a review.

However, I would suggest that if you really have no intention of reading it and just want something for free, maybe give it a pass.

The book is Icarus Rising by David Pauly.

ICARUS SERIES Author - THE ICARUS TRILOGY

In Nostraterra, the wars between the allied races of Elves, Men and Dwarves have ended; the Dark Lord Magnar has been overthrown. The Great Peace is suddenly shattered when Alfrahil, Crown Prince of Eldora is nearly assassinated. The King suspects his younger son Daerahil's lust for the throne has taken a dark and deadly turn, ignoring all evidence to the contrary. Is Daerahil the architect of this terrible plot or is he an unwitting pawn on someone else's chessboard? In the forests of the Elves, it is whispered that Elven Prince Ferox plans to seize the lands of Nostraterra for himself. Aiding Daerahil and his allies, Ferox hopes to fuel a conflagration which will consume Eldora, leaving the lands of Nostraterra his for the taking. Meanwhile, the Dwarves are wracked by deep divisions as the Flame Priests vie for supremacy, desiring to usurp all Dwarven power into their religion of segregation and hatred for other races. Secular Dwarf lords fight against the growing powers of the priests, trying to hold their kingdoms intact; preventing war from breaking out anew. In their distant refuge of Platonia, several pacifist Gracies are called from their pastoral home, embarking upon a great journey to aid the Magi, Oracle to the races. Transporting the last survivors of an ancient sentient race to the Magi's Emerald Vale, the Gracies are waylaid by craven foes who seek the magic of these last ephemeral beings. Will they succeed, or will the magic of life itself be forever lost? Who wants to tear the world asunder, feasting upon the ruins of the kingdom of Men? Will the world descend into chaos, or will it be saved from the ambitious and craven who threaten all? The answers lie within which begins your journey through the magical lands of Nostraterra.

I received my download, but I haven't read it yet, so I really have no idea how good it is. Yes, I know it sounds a little too much like Lord of the Rings, so take that into account as well when deciding if you'll actually read it. You can read an excerpt on the author's website. There are already 43 requests at the time of writing this, so you may want to hurry.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones