• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

From IPhone to droid...to root...and more!!

Durand216

Lurker
Jul 13, 2012
GA
So having had bought the original droid back in 2012, I always had a love for the OS. I deployed too Afghanistan in October 2010 and returned home a good one year later. Problem is, a year away from staying current in the smartphone game is a mighty long time. Long story short the next phone I got was the iPhone 4S!!! ( boo!! I know ). I was nice and happy with my 4S but felt that I was just missing something. I searched the forums and reviews and found that the galaxy nexus was the phone for me. After hoping on Craigslist I quickly traded my 4S at a Verizon store with a pretty knowledgable guy who had installed 4.1.1 for me!! Yay! I trade the iPhone and quickly head back to work. Being completely consumed by the smooth OS on Jelly Bean and blazing fast 4G I had not noticed one key thing...No calls or texts? Now, not knowing my phone was rooted and unlocked I headed blindly into a Verizon store to fix the issue. The "tech" which is a term I will use LOOSELY for Verizon proceeded to do a battery pull. I rolled my eyes and was handed my phone and told to wait until it boots back up. This is when it hit me, NO GOOGLE ANIMATION LOAD SCREEN!! I laughed to myself a bit and silently headed out of the store set out on a mission to flash to stock and lock my device. I was not really a fan of rooting, ( or so I thought ) and thought " ICS will be fine ". After some much needed info and painful driver installs I proceeded to use WUGFRESH and his nexus toolkit. A good 4 hours later I was good to go, or so I thought. I noticed a pretty heavy lag and my buttery smooth nexus felt like a melted ice cream sandwich in my hands. I thought to myself " if I'm going to own this phone I need to immerse myself in the community." I set out finding the ROM that had a stock experience and was highly polished. I unlocked my phone and battled my way through a drivers war with good ol windows 7. Once I finally rooted my GNEX and installed a permanent clockwork mod I downloaded a rom and youtubed my way to 4.1!!! Now that I am completely satisfied with my device and more importantly more appreciative of this active community, I have to say I am now a fellow PHANDROID. I plan on diminishing my arsenal of Mac related products soon and coercing my wife very "GRADUALLY" to ditch the 4S and our IPAD 3 for some nice sleek Nexus 7's and most likely for the wife, a galaxy S3. So I'll be in the forums and hopefully soon making some contributions!!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones