• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

froyo 2.2 for virgin usa samsung intercept

I noticed that the intercept keyboard has to be open in order to get a home screen to switch to landscape after installing Froyo 2.2.2 with many thanks to this thread. All applications I've used thus far don't display this characteristic so perhaps it was intended to function like that although I don't understand the logic.:thinking: More like and over sight!

I still have yet to receive my Froyo update, I tried on 2.1. The orientation on mine will not rotate from the "home screen" either unless the keyboard is open. It flips just fine while in certain apps. Looks like this is how it's designed.

Upvote 0
I can't help but be annoyed that having a Corporate Exchange Account requires me to enter a Pin Code everytime the phone comes out of a sleep mode or is turned off. I have googled this issue and some developers have made an email.apk for Froyo. My phone is now rooted so I'm setup for this but I'm unsure if this is compatible with the VM intercept.

Anyone out there explore this yet on their Intercept using the new Froyo 2.2.2? I've tried using apktool to look for differences with the Intercept email.apk and I don't understand the scripts other than they look extremely different. I suppose I could save the stock file and then give it a try. Would feel more confident if someone has had success already on this platform because of my inexperience with this type of code.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Which method did you use to root it?

One Click Root And Unroot For Froyo Intercept For Windows (Updated) . Seemed to work well since it gave me the ability to use a wireless tether app from the market that was designed for rooted phones.

I should probably hold off on using the email.apk because my quick observation indicates that different font sizes are used which may result in an appearance that is not optimum for the intercept screen. I need to understand the scripts because I'm sure there is a flag setting in there that triggers the need for a Pass Code.

Upvote 0
One Click Root And Unroot For Froyo Intercept For Windows (Updated) . Seemed to work well since it gave me the ability to use a wireless tether app from the market that was designed for rooted phones.

I should probably hold off on using the email.apk because my quick observation indicates that different font sizes are used which may result in an appearance that is not optimum for the intercept screen. I need to understand the scripts because I'm sure there is a flag setting in there that triggers the need for a Pass Code.

A user from that thread mentioned they could not get wifi tether to work post-root. All worked OK for you? What tether app did you use?
Thanks much...

Upvote 0
I got the 2.2 update message this morning and told it to install. After a few minutes of the screen with the Android and a package, I got a screen with the Android and a big exclamation point in a triangle. I was then taken to the reboot screen where I rebooted my phone. It went back to the original 2.1 version and can't find a way to update again. I tried going through reboot again to tell it to install update.zip from the sdcard, but it failed saying it wasn't there.
So what do I do now? Is there a way to get the update message again? I try to do update through Settings but it says I am up to date. Should I download update.zip and do the update manually? Are there any drawbacks to this in terms of future updates?
Thanks,
RJ

Upvote 0

Don, I adapted this for osx and also fixed the com.sh problem (it referred to /dev/block/stl9 but should have been /dev/block/stl5. Even after that, I can see I get a root shell but the permanent root hack doesn't take hold. I'm going to try posting at the sdx forum too.

Upvote 0
Don, I adapted this for osx and also fixed the com.sh problem (it referred to /dev/block/stl9 but should have been /dev/block/stl5. Even after that, I can see I get a root shell but the permanent root hack doesn't take hold. I'm going to try posting at the sdx forum too.

Just to add a data point here. I had to edit com.sh and joeykrim-root.sh and change the references to /dev/block/stl9 to /dev/block/stl5 before starting the exploit.

I recommend you adb shell and look at the output from "mount" to make sure the line with /system matches the value of /dev/block/stlx that is in those two files.

Upvote 0
My wife's Virgin Mobile, Samsung Intercept, got the 2.2.2 update roll-out Monday morning, April 18th, 2011 (maybe it was Tuesday). It all seemed to go well with no issues to report, except that weather bug is not loading. We have had trouble with that before so I'm not sure that it is related.

I was pleased to see 2 additional "home" screens with dots indicating page numbering. The lock screen is now side swipe (or mute call) in place of up. Tentatively, pop email was working correctly, which never did before, yeh!

We had NOT seen any notice from VM as was shown in this thread. Maybe we missed it. I am reluctant to ask my wife if she lost any Memos, Folders, App shortcuts or Widgets. We did NOT backup or document these before starting the update. It did not occur to me, darn it. I am just glad the battery was fully charged.

Upvote 0
Just to add a data point here. I had to edit com.sh and joeykrim-root.sh and change the references to /dev/block/stl9 to /dev/block/stl5 before starting the exploit.

I recommend you adb shell and look at the output from "mount" to make sure the line with /system matches the value of /dev/block/stlx that is in those two files.

Your obviously an experienced code writer. I didn't realize that there was a problem since my reason for rooting was to be able to try wireless tethering with apps that were designed for rooted phones. I had no problems doing this. I hope you have time to provide a bit of edit guidance since the only code I'm familiar is VB.

Do I need a special editor to change the 2 files mentioned above?
Once changed would I then follow the same install instructions in order to have a properly rooted phone?

Thanks for any assistance you have time to provide.
Don

Upvote 0
Your obviously an experienced code writer. I didn't realize that there was a problem since my reason for rooting was to be able to try wireless tethering with apps that were designed for rooted phones. I had no problems doing this. I hope you have time to provide a bit of edit guidance since the only code I'm familiar is VB.

Do I need a special editor to change the 2 files mentioned above?
Once changed would I then follow the same install instructions in order to have a properly rooted phone?

Thanks for any assistance you have time to provide.
Don

Just open those files with notepad and change the 9 to a 5.
It still didnt work for me. I gave up.

Upvote 0
Sorry for sounding stupid,, I had just got the Intercept and had it for,,, 5 days now. Last night, I had an automatic update and then my home page looks different. Was that the same update everyone talking about? how do I know what version I have?

upate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
As I said,, I might be stupid but I knew there had to be an "about" somewhere,, it said I have version 2.2.2,, I guess I didn't miss anything! :D

Upvote 0
Sorry for sounding stupid,, I had just got the Intercept and had it for,,, 5 days now. Last night, I had an automatic update and then my home page looks different. Was that the same update everyone talking about? how do I know what version I have?

upate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
As I said,, I might be stupid but I knew there had to be an "about" somewhere,, it said I have version 2.2.2,, I guess I didn't miss anything! :D

yeah the samsung intercept for VM was 2.1 android and they're just now releasing 2.2 in batches to the customers. You're lucky to have not been on 2.1 too long. I have been with VM since January. I didn't have too many issuess in the beginning but here lately it seemed my phone was really slow and major lag but I got the 2.2 update last night so hopefully it will be better now. I hear 2.2 is a Godsend. But we'll see.

Upvote 0
Hi everybody,

I wanted to add my 2 cents. I just happened to check if the update was available and saw that is was. I did not get any notice from VM. I had Wireless so the download went fast, maybe 2 minutes. Plus I did it at night when net traffic was reduced so maybe that had it faster. Then I had to reboot. It took much longer to reboot the phone than to download but it came up in 2.2.2. I wonder if there are update notes, you know - what changed, what are the new features, etc.

I had maybe 20 apps loaded and they all seem to work fine. I had not done much to my phone - not rooted or anything. The one thing I needed to do was reenter my Gmail password and now Gmail is working too. Very painless upgrade! I have noticed some things seem faster although I have not used a stopwatch to check. One thing that is MUCH faster is Angry Birds. On 2.1 it was very slow - painful to play. Now Angry Birds is actually fun.

I was waiting for 2.2 because my phone would freeze sometimes. I am looking forward to see if that "feature" :mad: goes away. I saw on this forum that people said it would. :D

I only have a couple of hours of use on 2.2.2 so I don't know everything but I wanted to let everybody know how it went for me.

Best of luck to everybody!

Reactions: SparksGuy
Upvote 0
I didn't receive a message.. Sometime around 2 in the morning my phone started beeping and prompted me to update to froyo.. I of course woke right up and let it update.
I really like the design and it seems faster!

My next goal is to be able to make my phone a hotspot for my ipod touch(since my phone doesnt have some apps that the itouch has).
While searching I have seen various programs to root and various apps to tether(ie Barnacle)..
Does anyone have a suggestion of what I can use to go about not bricking my phone?

Upvote 0
I didn't receive a message.. Sometime around 2 in the morning my phone started beeping and prompted me to update to froyo.. I of course woke right up and let it update.
I really like the design and it seems faster!

My next goal is to be able to make my phone a hotspot for my ipod touch(since my phone doesnt have some apps that the itouch has).
While searching I have seen various programs to root and various apps to tether(ie Barnacle)..
Does anyone have a suggestion of what I can use to go about not bricking my phone?

SWUpgrade seems to be the most simple, user-friendly way to root your phone. Load this CM01.tar custom recovery using SWUpgrade.
http://www.sdx-downloads.com/devs/inxane/intercept/CM01.tar
There are many guides on how to use SWUpgrade, esp on youtube.

After you've got the recovery on, you can load any custom kernel/rom, thus rooting your phone.

Upvote 0
Trust me....don't let VM waste more of your time..
update it yourself, it'll save you anticipation for an update I thought would be better for some reason. Don't get me wrong, it brought the Intercept to a very functional phone now, much much better than 2.1. But now, there is no point of waiting, it's already been released.

Copy the Update.zip into your SD card (not in a folder, straight to the card where you see all your folders).

Unplug and restart in recovery (VOL DOWN, CALL, END) and click update. that simple.:rolleyes:

[ http://androidforums.com/samsung-intercept-virgin-mobile/317374-real-signed-update-zip.html ]

I followed this link .. and chose the "VM" link ..
I updated my phone.. thought I may have bricked it.. but I just had to run the Activation program again... and all was good... running late for work.. More details tommorrow.. ( am off cause of holiday )

Later ,
Peace ,
K_K3N

Upvote 0
Just registered with this forum. I been tracking this thread since they announced the froyo 2.2 update months ago. I got the text earlier this month and just received the update this morning. Took about 5~10 min to install and my phone is working so much faster. Apps load quicker, the phone turns on and off better. Games run better (I love angry birds on the phone now)

Overall I think the update is great and worth the wait. For the Amount of services and everything else we get for $25 a month. I think its funny when all these people on here whine and complain. About not getting it on time. No patience.....

Thank you VM for the excellent update (which you didnt even have to do) and the low pricing and great service im getting on my phone.

Reactions: SparksGuy
Upvote 0
My wife and I both have Intercepts. She just received the update notice today, I'm still waiting on mine :(.

I did have a question for those of you monitoring this forum. I've heard that flash is not going to be included on this update, so I'm considering downloading Dolphin HD browser. Do you know if that will allow us to have flash? Or do you know of any better browsers out there that may include flash? I've tried to install Firefox with Android 2.1 and it won't even download. If Firefox will work with Froyo, I'd like to try that, as long as flash is available through Firefox. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones