• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

froyo 2.2 for virgin usa samsung intercept

Well, I did it.... I used the other forum on howardsforum and the youtube video to upgrade my phone to 2.2... I just couldn't take it anymore and I must say, HUGE difference! It is still the stock sprint rom, I didn't root it and remove the sprint apps and some of the apps work fine. Either way, 2.2 is much faster, when I scroll through my apps, it doesn't lag at all. It starts up quicker, no lag when dialing or anything, I love it.

The actual process to upgrade it was pretty easy too, I have never done anything like this, but as long as you have common sense and read through the instructions carefully and watch the video before hand, it goes pretty smoothly.

It has only hung up on me once and I was kind of mashing everything I could to see what it could handle so my own fault, besides that and the no MMS, much better!

Upvote 0
Well, I did it.... I used the other forum on howardsforum and the youtube video to upgrade my phone to 2.2... I just couldn't take it anymore and I must say, HUGE difference! It is still the stock sprint rom, I didn't root it and remove the sprint apps and some of the apps work fine. Either way, 2.2 is much faster, when I scroll through my apps, it doesn't lag at all. It starts up quicker, no lag when dialing or anything, I love it.

The actual process to upgrade it was pretty easy too, I have never done anything like this, but as long as you have common sense and read through the instructions carefully and watch the video before hand, it goes pretty smoothly.

It has only hung up on me once and I was kind of mashing everything I could to see what it could handle so my own fault, besides that and the no MMS, much better!

awesome.. I'm tired of waiting as well. I got a few things to do today.. so i'm gonna go get that done, and check one last time for an update.. then probably upgrade tonight.. which thread from howardforums and youtube video did you go by?

Upvote 0

I have been very tempted myself to do the upgrade myself. However, since there is still a problem with MMS, I will continue to wait it out. By the way, ABR, did they have you use any particular mods when upgrading? I was told about the CyanogenMod that is focused on performance, and I thought I saw that they do not have anything for Virgin Mobile.

Upvote 0
Caution all - We got 2.2 on our Intercept 3 days ago. - IT SUCKS!!!!! Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it!.

My specific rants on it.

1. - Used to be able to slide down from the top and turn on/off WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. - That's GONE - WHAT THE HELL????

2. - Screen looks hideous with the "New" gray bar across the top - Black looked much better.

3. - Dialing - Used to be able to hit Phone, then dial part of the number I'm calling and it would come up with contacts that match - GONE - Now we'll have to use favorites?

4. - Texting - Used to be able to go to the dial screen, type in the number and press teh message button at the bottom. - GONE

5. - No speed dial?

Only possible positives are it might be ever so slightly faster, but not worth it. - I bought it because with 2.1 it worked and looked identical to my Epic, now it's look and feel are a bit different and the things we fell in love with on it are gone.

I may have to run this one over with my car and order up something different.

Thanks for NOTHING Samsung/Sprint! - Now my choice I suppose is to Root it and find a ROM that will do what I want, or figure out a way to go back to 2.1...

Upvote 0
awesome.. I'm tired of waiting as well. I got a few things to do today.. so i'm gonna go get that done, and check one last time for an update.. then probably upgrade tonight.. which thread from howardforums and youtube video did you go by?

Sorry for the late reply, not sure if you have already done the upgrade but here are the links.

[HOW TO] Install froyo 2.2 on your virgin mobile intercept!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlEMbKp7unw

Make sure you read and watch before you actually do it. A couple things are a little out of order, I watched through once and just followed along the second time and worked perfect. The only thing I didn't do was the last steps where you get in and remove the sprint software, I just left it in there and it doesn't bother anything. Hope all works well for ya!

I have been very tempted myself to do the upgrade myself. However, since there is still a problem with MMS, I will continue to wait it out. By the way, ABR, did they have you use any particular mods when upgrading? I was told about the CyanogenMod that is focused on performance, and I thought I saw that they do not have anything for Virgin Mobile.

The only thing I had to download was the update itself, SWUpgrade and the patch for the upgrade. It took me all of a half an hour to do everything. The downloads of the files took longer than the actual upgrade process. It is fast though, I have had it not respond a couple times when browsing the web but nothing major, it is fast and calls, messaging (minus MMS) everything works great. One problem I do have is my youtube app doesn't play videos so I am going to try and figure that one out. Not sure if it is just me or everyone.

Caution all - We got 2.2 on our Intercept 3 days ago. - IT SUCKS!!!!! Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it!.

My specific rants on it.

1. - Used to be able to slide down from the top and turn on/off WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. - That's GONE - WHAT THE HELL????

2. - Screen looks hideous with the "New" gray bar across the top - Black looked much better.

3. - Dialing - Used to be able to hit Phone, then dial part of the number I'm calling and it would come up with contacts that match - GONE - Now we'll have to use favorites?

4. - Texting - Used to be able to go to the dial screen, type in the number and press teh message button at the bottom. - GONE

5. - No speed dial?

Only possible positives are it might be ever so slightly faster, but not worth it. - I bought it because with 2.1 it worked and looked identical to my Epic, now it's look and feel are a bit different and the things we fell in love with on it are gone.

I may have to run this one over with my car and order up something different.

Thanks for NOTHING Samsung/Sprint! - Now my choice I suppose is to Root it and find a ROM that will do what I want, or figure out a way to go back to 2.1...

I can understand where you are coming from and a lot of simple features have been removed, they are still accessible, well the wifi and bluetooth are, just from going through settings. The colors can be changed if you download themes, from say dxTop or anything else. As far as the texting and dialing, I dont have tons of contacts, but the ones I use the most I just store in my favorites and the have the option to call of message from the phone app and it works perfect.

Overall, to me, I feel the huge speed increase, less lockups, no crazy bugs and non responsive touches are the big deals that made me glad to upgrade to 2.2. If stuff like that is an issue then I wouldn't recommend upgrading and sticking with 2.1, but for me, the speed and less issues far out weigh the wifi and bluetooth and stuff like that.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the late reply, not sure if you have already done the upgrade but here are the links.

[HOW TO] Install froyo 2.2 on your virgin mobile intercept!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlEMbKp7unw

Make sure you read and watch before you actually do it. A couple things are a little out of order, I watched through once and just followed along the second time and worked perfect. The only thing I didn't do was the last steps where you get in and remove the sprint software, I just left it in there and it doesn't bother anything. Hope all works well for ya!

The only thing I had to download was the update itself, SWUpgrade and the patch for the upgrade. It took me all of a half an hour to do everything. The downloads of the files took longer than the actual upgrade process. It is fast though, I have had it not respond a couple times when browsing the web but nothing major, it is fast and calls, messaging (minus MMS) everything works great. One problem I do have is my youtube app doesn't play videos so I am going to try and figure that one out. Not sure if it is just me or everyone.

I can understand where you are coming from and a lot of simple features have been removed, they are still accessible, well the wifi and bluetooth are, just from going through settings. The colors can be changed if you download themes, from say dxTop or anything else. As far as the texting and dialing, I dont have tons of contacts, but the ones I use the most I just store in my favorites and the have the option to call of message from the phone app and it works perfect.

Overall, to me, I feel the huge speed increase, less lockups, no crazy bugs and non responsive touches are the big deals that made me glad to upgrade to 2.2. If stuff like that is an issue then I wouldn't recommend upgrading and sticking with 2.1, but for me, the speed and less issues far out weigh the wifi and bluetooth and stuff like that.

Yeah, I just downloadloaded the CureFish widgets for the wifi and stuff, so you can have them right on your home screen. For contacts, I just made shortcuts for the people I call a lot. I guess since I've never used speed dial, I don't miss it, but it's easy enough to just tap the phone icon in Contacts, next the person's name, or to go to your call history. Then again I only have 90 contacts and I don't call that many of them that often.

Upvote 0
I haven't upgraded yet.. I keep telling myself to wait. Like you mentioned.. I'm afraid as soon as I do.. they'll release the over the air update.

As far as the MMS goes, I've been transitioning into google voice. which you can't get MMS with yet. so that won't even matter to me. If someone really wants to send me a picture or something they could just email it to me.

I dunno.. I just hate how sluggish 2.1 is.. and the unresponsive touches really get to me. so if that is truly fixed in 2.2. that's a big win for me.

I suppose they'll be a way to downgrade to 2.1 and upgrade to VM's 2.2 once it does come out.. if it ever does.

Upvote 0
It seems that some people made the following mods to VM Intercept and it is working great for them.

Cherry Kernel 1.2 + DI06 Deodexed theme + Frozen Eclair 9.1 + Apps2SD + Swap + Dalvik Cache moved

There are guides / step by step instructions to install these on VM Intercept at SDX Developers Forum

Intercept - Development 2.1

As always use your own judgement for all these upgrades as any mis-step or not following steps properly may brick your phone. Only you will be responsible for your actions.

Upvote 0
can anyone else confirm this? 3g isn't working if you update to 2.2 with sprints?

I'm not waiting for april.. I want to go ahead and update mine within the next few days.. but if 3G doesn't work.. I'm not sure.

I haven't had any issues with 3G as of yet, actually everything seems to be smoothing out and running much better from when I first did the update. For once I am happy I decided to go along with it.

The only issue I did have initially that I was upset about was youtube did not work, after going into the market and updating it though, worked perfect so. FYI if anyone updates and is having problems streaming :D

Also little things like Angry Birds runs much smoother and I don't know if anyone had this problem before but in 2.1 the rock parts in angry birds would be clear so you couldn't see them. They are visible in 2.2 so it makes it much easier :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones