• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo 2.2 OTA is just around the corner

Please refrain from posting any type of personal insult towards another member and/or bickering comments in this thread. "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

If I was to say "Wu-tang is fo da children!", that wouldn't count as a personal insult would it?
For real though, people you can make a point without attacking

Upvote 0
Yeah, after rereading his post, that's a possibilty.

In any case, I'll be keeping my "X" and waiting for the release of 2.2. Doesn't matter to me whether it's a day, week, or a month or more. I'll wait patiently. Well, maybe a little impatiently.... but I'll wait. I'm very satisfied with my Droid X just the way it is. I'd really like to have flash, but it's not a deal breaker.

I agree - I've only had mine a few days but I'm also waiting patiently for Froyo to come out so I can have flash and the other improvements it brings, whenever that will be. In the mean time I'm having a blast learning how to use my new toy - definitely the best phone I've ever had...and dare I say, currently the best phone on the market (IMHO) :D

Upvote 0
I don't think Verizon owes us any explanation but I think it would be nice of them and good customer service if they firmed up the date and told us. Others said we were supposed to receive the update a few weeks after launch and that has come and gone. Summer may or may not end soon (I'm not getting into that one) which is the next time frame they told us. Part of their marketing was the promise of 2.2 and it is "bad form" to not keep us informed as to when that promise will be kept.

They don't owe us jack squat but it would be nice of them to keep us informed.

Reactions: Martimus
Upvote 0
I don't think Verizon owes us any explanation but I think it would be nice of them and good customer service if they firmed up the date and told us. Others said we were supposed to receive the update a few weeks after launch and that has come and gone. Summer may or may not end soon (I'm not getting into that one) which is the next time frame they told us. Part of their marketing was the promise of 2.2 and it is "bad form" to not keep us informed as to when that promise will be kept.

I disagree. When you promise something in a certain time frame BEFORE a device is even released, then fail to deliver in said time frame after release....you bet your ass you owe the consumer an explanation. Yes, I know they haven't failed until the first day of fall, but we're getting really close.

Upvote 0

VZW NEVER said a few weeks after release. If you got that from a CSR then you should know they don't know diddly

Upvote 0
Just called and talked to tech support. He claimed they've started the DX upgrade based on phone number ranges. So I pressed him and said, "So there are DX users out there right now that have received the 2.2 upgrade?" to which he replied "I believe so". They still have no idea.

Not only do they have no idea but sadly they lie... now ok, most likley... they are misinformed and are thinking of either the DInc or D1... but still... I think they need to be told "If you dont know what the hell your talking about then keep your damn mouth shut"

Upvote 0
You're going to be disappointed. It isn't that great. :)

It really bothers me when people say this. Like, you don't know. Unless you're at motorola using the current release candidate build for the phone update, you don't know. You can speculate, but there are major architectural changes in 2.2 that should by all rights increase performance significantly. It's unfair to just railroad people hoping for a performance boost by screaming that there isn't one - you don't really know the history of the leak or what precisely the leak represents (other than a test build) so let's not make hasty conclusions. Unless you have some reason to say that beyond what we know?

Upvote 0
It really bothers me when people say this. Like, you don't know. Unless you're at motorola using the current release candidate build for the phone update, you don't know. You can speculate, but there are major architectural changes in 2.2 that should by all rights increase performance significantly. It's unfair to just railroad people hoping for a performance boost by screaming that there isn't one - you don't really know the history of the leak or what precisely the leak represents (other than a test build) so let's not make hasty conclusions. Unless you have some reason to say that beyond what we know?

Grow up. No one is screaming about anything, hence the :).

My statement, however, is based on some experience with the latest leaked version.

Had you taken the time to read my past posts about it, before spouting off like someone that might assign too much emotional attachment to their electronics, you would have found that I often say "however, I recognize that it is a leaked version and the official could be better."

Additionally though, I usually say "I bet not." There is nothing that convinces me that the official will be any better than the latest leak.

Hence, you and others, are going to be disappointed if you think it is some miracle performance boost, as you have alluded. Sorry.

And I am not screaming it, although it seems you are, it is just my opinion and my guess (bet), and I am entitled to it as much as those of you that think it is going to be some god send release. Talk about hasty conclusions.

Upvote 0
Grow up. No one is screaming about anything, hence the :).

My statement, however, is based on some experience with the latest leaked version.

Had you taken the time to read my past posts about it, before spouting off like someone that might assign too much emotional attachment to their electronics, you would have found that I often say "however, I recognize that it is a leaked version and the official could be better."

Additionally though, I usually say "I bet not." There is nothing that convinces me that the official will be any better than the latest leak.

Hence, you and others, are going to be disappointed if you think it is some miracle performance boost, as you have alluded. Sorry.

And I am not screaming it, although it seems you are, it is just my opinion and my guess (bet), and I am entitled to it as much as those of you that think it is going to be some god send release. Talk about hasty conclusions.

I think you need to lose the attitude. This wasn't specifically directed at you, it's a common thing I see and I am responding to the general concept in the most logical place. I am simply stating that you -don't- know. I am a software engineer by trade; I write software and release software for a living. I know that there are many, many things that can affect the performance of a test build - logging, code or objects not properly optimized while still in testing, removal of unit-test or extraneous code, services or processes that are concurrently developed that might be under performing in test builds because they're smoke testing UI elements while testing core platform functionality in other builds and don't want to muddy the waters of possible sources of trouble. The bottom line is that the final release package is what it is, and until we've seen it we have no reason to speculate on how it will perform. People keep saying 'it won't be that exciting' like they know, and the fact is they don't. It's not an emotional thing, it's not an attachment thing - you simply don't know.

You don't need to be all defensive, and a couple times you come across as downright rude here - I have no reason to believe that the speed boost in the final build will be significant either, but we don't know the status of the current build so why speculate and burst people's bubble?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones