• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo on Hero!

and then when you've done the myriad of updates/fixes etc. for zen, it's still broken; not meant for cdma phone, no gmail push; glass iPhone-esque icons (imo a step backward, I think android is better than iCrap)... i honestly don't understand the kool-aid on that one, but I'll try this out in a minute.

Upvote 0
It's a great really fast rom. I'm getting 5.2-5.4 mflops with jit enabled. It still has a few quirks, but it is still in test mode. A full rom will be coming out soon. Hopefully cyanogen will figure out a way to port sense to 2.2.
And "google shitz" is all the stuff that comes with a google based phone like most of our heros, (google sync for contacts, google voice, maps...etc..etc).
Facebook sync is kinda pain in the ass but there's an explanation on how to get it to work.
The other thing is that you have to use a 3rd party camera app to get it working for now.
Just a little heads up on what to expect from this rom. I highly recomend on giving it a shot, you'll be amazed on how fast it is.

Upvote 0
and then when you've done the myriad of updates/fixes etc. for zen, it's still broken; not meant for cdma phone, no gmail push; glass iPhone-esque icons (imo a step backward, I think android is better than iCrap)... i honestly don't understand the kool-aid on that one, but I'll try this out in a minute.

Least we forget, 1.5 wasn't meant for a CDMA phone either....I agree, Zen takes alot of work to get it working well. And there is a "fix" for the iPhone-esque icons, in case you didn't know. Yes, another fix! As far as "kool-aide"... I found the Zen rom to be fast, I also really liked the blue highlighting vs the green on most of the other "main stream" roms, really liked the bottom bar set-up (still don't really know what that thing is called! launcher? Rosie? I dunno...I guess I am just dense! LOL) Once set up, Zen worked fairly well for me. However, I have now moved to Fresh 2.3.3 with OC Kernel, and OC Widget, and am very happy with it. (I couldn't care less if any rom has Gmail push, but that is in line with my needs)

I'll be interested in trying Froyo when it gets out of "Beta" For now, my phone runs very well, with great battery life using 2.3.3.

Upvote 0
I loaded the Froyo rom... I gotta admit, it's fast...and it's smooooth. it's not ready for prime time yet, but once they get the camera preview working, the video camera working and take care of that pesky MMS issue (yes I flashed the fix..didn't help), then it will quickly become my daily rom. until then.. I have a nandroid of it..so I can restore to froyo at will..

oh yeah.. another quirk that was the real biggie for me.. swype would stop swyping.. then I'd have to reload it..until the next time it stopped.. although shapewritter would work I just don't like it as much as swype

other than those MINOR things, (except swype, that's major in my book) the rom is great...and it's pre-clocked at 710

Upvote 0
I loaded the Froyo rom... I gotta admit, it's fast...and it's smooooth. it's not ready for prime time yet, but once they get the camera preview working, the video camera working and take care of that pesky MMS issue (yes I flashed the fix..didn't help), then it will quickly become my daily rom. until then.. I have a nandroid of it..so I can restore to froyo at will..

oh yeah.. another quirk that was the real biggie for me.. swype would stop swyping.. then I'd have to reload it..until the next time it stopped.. although shapewritter would work I just don't like it as much as swype

other than those MINOR things, (except swype, that's major in my book) the rom is great...and it's pre-clocked at 710

i hear of a problem with MMS but whats the issue? i havent texted at all today so i havent seen anything

Upvote 0
I don't have any issues with swype not working or any mms issues either. Camera preview is a pain, but it is worth dealing with it because the rom is great.

like I said.. the bugs were minor ones.. there are apps in the market to get around the camera preview.. and who knows, I might restore my nandroid of it and reload swype (for a 5th time) and not have anymore problems.. I was able to get FB to sync and TiKL to work..

I really did like the ROM... I did miss SenseUI but I'm hopeful that one of the Devs (Flipz maybe) might take a shot at making it a true SenseUI Froyo.. if not, well... I'll miss SenseUI.. until I get a new phone (in late Feb)

Upvote 0
homeze.jpg

settingsv.png

cmparts.png

I can't get the link to open

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones