• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I don't think it's such a tough decision. :)

Ha. Yeah, you're probably right. I have my EVO reserved and I'm sure I won't be able to resist picking it up on 6/4. I just have zero faith in Sprint/HTC getting the EVO updated with Froyo before Gingerbread is about to be released. The beauty of a stock Android phone like the N1/Droid is that even if the carrier/company stalls, it's easy to root and install a custom rom with the latest OS. Having SenseUI throws a wrench in that.

Upvote 0
Why does Google/HTC/Sprint have to make this such a tough decision? I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE the EVO, but I can't decide whether it's worth giving up my Droid, which will most likely get the Froyo update a lot sooner than the EVO. This stinks.

What makes you think the Droid (Moto or Incredible?) is going to get Froyo before the EVO?

Upvote 0
What makes you think the Droid (Moto or Incredible?) is going to get Froyo before the EVO?
Assuming he's talking about the Moto Droid, there's a good argument to make that since it doesn't have the Sense UI that it will be much faster to get the update ready. HTC hasn't shown that they're very quick in getting Android updates with Sense out the door.

Upvote 0

The fact that the EVO has SenseUI and the Moto Droid is stock Android is why I strongly believe the Droid will get Froyo much quicker than the EVO. HTC has already proven with its other SenseUI phones that they suck at getting the updates done. I really wish the EVO was just plain stock Android, then it would be the PERFECT phone.

Upvote 0
The fact that the EVO has SenseUI and the Moto Droid is stock Android is why I strongly believe the Droid will get Froyo much quicker than the EVO. HTC has already proven with its other SenseUI phones that they suck at getting the updates done. I really wish the EVO was just plain stock Android, then it would be the PERFECT phone.

Oh, I see. But didn't the Moto Droid just barely get 2.1 update a couple months ago?

Upvote 0
Oh, I see. But didn't the Moto Droid just barely get 2.1 update a couple months ago?

2.1 leaked a few months before it was officially released by Motorola/VZW, so those of us who are rooted have been running it for a long time. Plus, even though Motorola/VZW did take longer than I would have liked to release the update, I believe it still was a lot quicker than HTC has taken to update their Sense phones.

I'm not bashing the EVO - I have it reserved and I'm 99% sure I'll be switching to it - I just am afraid of being left in the dark re: Froyo.

Upvote 0
2.1 leaked a few months before it was officially released by Motorola/VZW, so those of us who are rooted have been running it for a long time. Plus, even though Motorola/VZW did take longer than I would have liked to release the update, I believe it still was a lot quicker than HTC has taken to update their Sense phones.

I'm not bashing the EVO - I have it reserved and I'm 99% sure I'll be switching to it - I just am afraid of being left in the dark re: Froyo.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to question you for bashing the EVO. Only reason I asked about 2.1 on Moto Droid was because my cousin got 2.1 a couple months ago, so that's all I knew.

I'm a newb to Android and the differences between OEM Android vs. Android w/ manufacturer UI's on top (e.g. Sense UI, Samsung's UI, etc...) Forgive me if I came off that way. Just trying to learn.

Upvote 0
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to question you for bashing the EVO. Only reason I asked about 2.1 on Moto Droid was because my cousin got 2.1 a couple months ago, so that's all I knew.

I'm a newb to Android and the differences between OEM Android vs. Android w/ manufacturer UI's on top (e.g. Sense UI, Samsung's UI, etc...) Forgive me if I came off that way. Just trying to learn.

No worries. I didn't think you were saying I was bashing the EVO - I just thought that some might think I was, based on some of the other stuff I've seen on the forum.

Admittedly, I've never used Sense - I've owned both the G1 and the the Moto Droid, which are both stock Android. From everything I've read, Sense seems to be the only skin that is actually good, so I do take solace in that. Maybe HTC/Sprint will surprise us with a quick update, however, HTC's statement today that "...if your phone was launched this year, we will most likely offer an upgrade for it to the Froyo version" doesn't really instill much confidence.

Upvote 0
As I posted on another forum.
If the Evo was not getting Froyo quickly it would make 0-sense for Google to give teh phone away and tell developers to keep developing now would it?

Froyo's release date wasn't announced for the Nexus One either.
It was mentioned that the 2010 HTC line would get the update Q2.
That's right in time with Google's "few weeks" comment.

The Evo will get updated and quickly.

Reactions: hopalee
Upvote 0
If the Evo was not getting Froyo quickly it would make 0-sense for Google to give teh phone away and tell developers to keep developing now would it?

I wish HTC wasn't so wishy washy with their comment today, but your point is a valid one. I hope you're right.

Upvote 0
I read that the droid and nexus 1 will be the first to get 2.2. I really think there will be a delay with the whole sprint htc fiasco that I won't go into.
I think the Nexus one and the Droid will be one and two to get it. After the Nexus one is supposed to get updates asap once released. Then the Droid lacks sense which seems to cause major delays for updates on HTC devices. Case in point the Hero.

Upvote 0

Considering we're in the middle of Q2, that would mean June 30th at the latest? Unless technology business plans their quarters differently.

I'll take that. Froyo just seems like a more ideal version of Android OS to show off the EVO's capabilities.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones