• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Future of android market depends on YOU.

I think Android market itself need some modifications/improvements as well.

They should increase the refundable period. 15 minutes is obviously insufficient to try out an app/game extensively. Besides, some games will take 5-10 minutes on installation alone...

I've bought some games as well. However, I tried the lite version they offered before jumping onto the paid version.

Upvote 0
and what incentive do I have to buy a $6.99 modern combat 2 from the market when the same game was/is buy one get another free for $4.99 buying direct.
Otherwise somebody pointed it out already why pay for half ass games. Even games that are on iphone often come to android half ass. I LOOK for games to PAY for on the android market and get tired of scrolling beyond the ones I've already bought. I like racing games foremost. I've bought Need for speed shift, drift mania, Raging thunder 1 and 2, turbo fly, asphalt 6 (not from the market, again why when its $2.50 or $5 from gameloft). I like first shooter games. can fine NONE that are good from the market so all mine are gameloft but PAID for. I Like Gunbros but it runs 24/7 even if you manually kill it so it can go to hell with the rest of the market games. cant complain about sales when unless you offer something worth buying.
I think the bigger problem is the ever widening differences in hardware.

Well you have a choice, that deal isnt not available to everyone and you don't have to buy it from the market. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Hi there, I am an app developer - iPhone for a couple of years, and new to the Android scene. We've recently released our first title, and a couple more are in development at the moment. Here's my take:

Initially, I was fairly adverse to developing for this platform (as many iOS developers are). Some things happened which changed my mind, and rather than simply port our top iPhone game we actually rebuilt it from the ground up and enhanced it specifically for Android. The release came and went, and I knew it would not go to smoothly - but I did get hit with some harsh reality!

The iPhone scene is much friendlier to the average app developer than the Android scene is. This is understandable for many reasons, but to be honest some things DO need to change around here if you guys want to entice more devs to come over here. It's going to take a lot of support from the customers, the websites, and even other developers. Right now, when I come to a forum like this, the "games" section is a wasteland. New titles pop up every so often, but most of the threads seem to sink like a brick immediately. To a lurking developer, this equals no support or interest (and there's already the stereotype that "Android gamers don't want to buy ANYthing"). Due to this "weeding-out," you end up seeing a lot of low-quality-looking games getting lackluster thread posts instead which in turn don't even LOOK like the devs care if anyone posts in there.

During my dev phase, I joined up in here and several other decent-to-high traffic forums. I posted pre-release (and post-release) threads showcasing my game, but as you can guess I got little to no response at best, if not outright gut-checked by mods (not in this particular forum, might I add) who said I was not allowed to "try and spread publicity for my app." whaaaa? What crazy planet?

It goes up to the top - clicking on the splash page for Phandroid.com (or similar sites) they have lots to report but hardly a word about any game news except the latest Angry Birds update. If this was TouchArcade - not just now, but even years ago - they'd have consistent coverage and buzz showing what's in the works for games and apps, and why gamers should be excited. Instead, it just feels like "Android gamers are techies who like to root their phones and play Solitaire," which seems like a pretty awful waste of some powerful hardware that you just spent a lot of money on..

I am new to this scene, as I said, but I am going to stick around for awhile. I have an existing game to support, and new ones to put out. I also have lots of other developer friends who are frustrated from competing on the oversaturated iPhones App Store and would love to try to sell stuff over here, if they thought they could get some real support.

The reality is, iPhone has a huge boost and a very solid foundation - and that's great, I love iPhone gaming - but Android has sheer numbers and enormous, unlimited potential. Even a tiny guy like me has a chance to make a dent in this "no man's land." Let's work together and make it a happier and friendlier place that is more welcoming to struggling, hungry, and passionate developers, and I think after some time you will see an about-face in the amount of devs/software showing up in this part of town :)

Anyway, I hope you'll forgive a little plugging, but this is the point I am trying to make. Let us developers plug, help us plug, in this forum and in others. Tell us that we are welcome and that you will support us and at least try the apps we make, and it won't be too terribly hard to change the environment. Here's some steps to get started:

1. Go to threads (like mine) and start downloading the games and talking about them. Get some conversation happening. Even if you are not a fan of the games in question, try to at least discuss things constructively, maybe this will help the developer better understand what this particular audience would like to play.

2. Email mods, email editors, this only takes a moment - tell them they should do more to support app developers. Suggest some games that you like on Android and that maybe they should give some coverage to them. If they hear just a few people asking for some support on the matter with any frequency, it's enough to get a few gears turning..

3. go hit up some of the iPhone-centric sites (there's... LOTS of them) and email the editors over there asking for more android coverage. Go one some iPhone forums where devs hang out (TouchArcade) and start posting "we need devs to come make games for us too!" Tell them what forums are good, what type of games you;d like to see, and of course what kind of numbers(visitors) you have certainly helps :)

This is just for starters, but again, we are also really at the beginning of this. Like the title of this thread says - "the Future of Android Market depends on YOU." Get busy!

Upvote 0
Has anyone seen this change? e.g. an app from a US dev that was only sold in dollars before March but is now sold in GB pounds, Euros, etc depending on your country? Hopefully, this would keep the bank from adding extra fees.
Now if the sods had publicised that - which wouldn't be difficult as we all have Gmail accounts and the market knows what regions we are, I'd have been back to the market sooner.
The App market does seem to be a bit of an afterthought sometimes.

Upvote 0
I am no developer myself but know a few people are. Android Developers really need a lot of support from us. They spend a lot of time making games/apps but the return is not great. Like HeadCaseGames said, I also don't like the fact that a lot of Android review sites only talks about the most popular games. I don't need anyone explain to me those famous games in details and can find them without too much effort!

I would like to try free version games first before making decision on buying one. But it's not that easy to find good unknown games from the Android Market thou... http://androidforums.com/members/headcasegames.html

Reactions: HeadcaseGames
Upvote 0
I feel ya, HeadcaseGames. I can only imagine how difficult it is to get your app noticed in the Android Market. It's a bit of a mess...

While I agree with the general tenor of this thread (i.e. more consumer demand = more quality games), devs can also help themselves in the following ways:

(1) Make "lite" versions of your games and release them simultaneously with the paid version. Now that the refund limit is only 15 minutes, I generally do not pay for games unless I can try a lite version first. The developers scored a "win" when they convinced Google to shorten the refund period from 24 hours to 15 minutes. The consequence of this policy change (as it relates to me) is that I no longer make impulse purchases of games. If that makes me "cheap", so be it;)

(2) Respond promptly to emails. This one is really simple. Regardless of the type of app (game or otherwise), the developers that get my repeat business are the ones that respond to my emails within a reasonable amount of time (within 48 hrs). If I have a problem, or a suggestion, or an idea I'd like to see implemented, I'm more likely to share it with a dev who is responsive. Shout out to Hexage (Radiant; EVAC), Kevin Baker (Sinister Planet), J.F. Geyelin (PewPew; PewPew2), yongzh (various emulators), SkyVu Pictures (Battle Bears; Battle Bears -1) and all other game devs who reply promptly to emails.

(3) Update your games. Whether it's a bug fix or additional content, I like to see that a developer is actively improving their game. On a related note, try to maintain parity with with your iOS app if you are a cross-platform developer. If you add new content to your iOS app, add the same content to your Android app (within a reasonable period of time, of course). Nothing annoys me more than a developer who provides kick-ass updates to the iOS version of an app while ignoring the Android version. Really, just about every cross-platform developer is guilty of this oversight. Additionally, the lack of updates signals a (to me) a lack of dedication to the Android platform. Hexage and Rovio are developers that do an excellent job of maintaining parity between their cross-platform games.

I think Android can be profitable for game developers, but it just takes more work to get the sale...

Upvote 0
I hear you, Essex.

With 180, I knew we were going to have a rough go of actually charging for the game so we tried a new gimmick which we thought up ourselves - put out a paid version for $1.99, and release it alongside a content-complete free version (the catch being that you have to play the game to unlock the other features in this free version, as well as the presence of advertisements). The main catch is that once you play the game enough (a status bar charts your progress), the ads will be removed giving you the exact same game as if you'd paid for it. I think the key to success on Android (and likewise on iPhone) is to try measures like this where you aren't actually charging money upfront for the meat of your project.

As for support, we'd learned from being iOS devs that it is not to be taken lightly. While development was intense, we probably worked even harder in the weeks following release, doing just what you mentioned: answering emails and patching bugs (well, addressing fragmentation is more like it). I agree that is critical, especially for us newer developers, to try and foster a reputation that we care about our user's experiences with our app. I think many other devs are getting wiser to this issue.

As for the other things you suggest, as far as keeping parity between iOS and Android - well, I can certainly see how that can be difficult. In my own case I have different programmers working on the different devices. If it economically makes sense, then of course I'd like to keep all versions of the game consistent, but sometimes requirements like this are hard to meet for reasons that (hopefully) the end user can understand! Independent developers are often tiny, and many of us will work hard to put out the best possible product as much as possible - but if the game is killing it on one platform and floundering on another, then it becomes harder to justify spending more time & resource "just because" when in fact that energy might be more useful elsewhere. This is definitely where you can tell the difference between a larger company and a much smaller one..

Reactions: Essex
Upvote 0
Not knowing much about writing apps and having coming from an iphone to android, how different is writing for the two platforms? Is it relatively trivial to port from an iphone game to an android game or it is a case of a complete rewrite - I wonder why some of my favourites like Space miner nvere seem to have made it to android.

Upvote 0
Not knowing much about writing apps and having coming from an iphone to android, how different is writing for the two platforms? Is it relatively trivial to port from an iphone game to an android game or it is a case of a complete rewrite - I wonder why some of my favourites like Space miner nvere seem to have made it to android.

None of our code (for our "simple little puzzle game" :p) was reusable from iPhone, everything had to be rebuilt from scratch, completely different engine, etc. Our gamw was originally written using the extremely popular and versatile cocos2D framework (I'd suspect at this point there's thousands of iPhone apps written with this) and that is not compatible with anything other than iPhone, and of course the app also is written Xcode (Apple's proprietary toolset). Fortunately we had very exhaustive design documents to work from, all the art assets were reusable (although we uprezzed everything, it make it easier to "rough draft" the game early in the process). So bear this in mind when hoping for a port of your favorite iOS game, more often than not it's pretty much like tackling an entirely new project in many ways (with the benefit being, "the designers have a clearer vision of how things should turn out")

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones