• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FYI: PRL 13xxx means you're on the new Hybrid Network

kxs783kms

May 4, 2010
Originally Posted by Gav508
Tonight I called tech support from Verizon and was surprised to get in touch with a very knowledgeable rep. The Hybrid push is a known issue, but ONLY for certain customers. These customers are in certain areas and are either former Alltel customers or customers that are accessing former Alltels equipment. I to have the 15008 PRL, however my location, New Jersey, I am not affected by the Alltel issue, and even though she said she would send the update to my phone, she stated that it can cause other issues. Since she seemed very knowledgeable about this information, I decided to take her advise and stay clear of this update.

For any of you guys using Alltel towers or equipment, all the info you have read is correct and this pushed update should serve you phone well. Just first verify you are in that Alltel local.

Myself I suffer from loss of internet sometimes moving from one place to another. (home to work). She asked if I frequently get the cannot connect for internet message. I do. She also asked if I get the 1X instead of 3G frequently. I do. She stated that this is a know issue with the Thunderbolt and it can be rectified very easy by doing a full factory reset from settings. Since I was having more issues with the Internet then the phone calls I am going to try this fix. I hate reloading and setting everything back up but I am going to try it anyway.

For anyone thinking of this, this operation puts your phone back to factory release condition. You will lose all contacts and data info. Make sure your contacts, calendar and misc info is backed up first. If you have a Google Account everything is and will reappear after you re sign back in.

Update from the OP: I said 13xxx, but this number could be different for your area. I honestly have no way of telling how many different PRL's there are or which number would say that would definitely tell you that you're on the Hybrid network(If there is one in your area.) I just know my results and that my PRL number changed.

On a quest to figure out why my phone had 3-4 bars of network signal, while my wife's phone had 0-1 bars even when they were next to each, I found this out in the process. If you're on PRL 15008, your phone is connected to the old Verizon Nationwide network. While if your phone shows PRL 13xxx, then your phone is connected to the New Hybrid network. I was on 13004, while she was on 15008. If your PRL shows 15008, I highly recommend you call Verizon and have them upgrade you to the Hybrid network, as this GREATLY increased my wife's signal and fixed her voice calls reception. (Not sure if this does anything for data. She always had good 3G and we're not in a 4G area.) They will push the update to your phone and have you leave it on for a few hours. Afterwards, I pulled the sim card and battery out for 30 seconds, replaced them and let the phone boot up. After 10-20 minutes, the radio will locate the nearest tower and my wife's phone auto updated its PRL number from 15008 to 13006. She now has a constant 3-4 bar signal and her time without a signal is significantly lower. (Same as mine.) Also, if you're rooted, make sure you know the correct stock firmware/radio version as they will probably ask you for this info.

P.S. I would only do this if you're having voice(not data) signal problems like my wife phone was. My wife phone shows 13006 and mine shows 13004, so PRL's can be different numbers for your area. So again, this may help some people and this may do nothing for others. If you already have a great signal, I would leave well enough alone.

This may be device to area specific. All I can do is report my findings as it has helped my signal in this area greatly.

Just out of curiosity what area are you in?

I suspect that 13xxx version is the 4g version of a VZW/Alltel hybrid PRL. If so, then a hybrid PRL will only help in areas that were formally Alltel. But once the Alltel network in an area has been fully integrated the hybrid PRL is no longer needed.

I have 15008. I get great speeds, great battery life, and still haven't dropped a single call.

Upvote 0

I suspect that 13xxx version is the 4g version of a VZW/Alltel hybrid PRL. If so, then a hybrid PRL will only help in areas that were formally Alltel. But once the Alltel network in an area has been fully integrated the hybrid PRL is no longer needed.

I have 15008. I get great speeds, great battery life, and still haven't dropped a single call.

I'm in Central Florida. I know we use to have Alltel in this area before Alltel bought them out.

Upvote 0

pretty much what i was told verbatim.

Upvote 0

Yeah, that's why I wanted to put this out there for people who were having problems and didn't have another Thunderbolt to compare things to like I did. Maybe this situation applied to them and they didn't know it. I certainly am not looking to harm anyone's phone. That's why I posted to do this only if you were having problems, as this really couldn't hurt anything. I swapped out another phone due to this situation. Until I found this fix for her phone today, I was going to exchange it again and get the Iphone4. I guess I was excited to get this out, not realizing it wouldn't benefit everyone.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's why I wanted to put this out there for people who were having problems and didn't have another Thunderbolt to compare things to like I did. Maybe this situation applied to them and they didn't know it. I certainly am not looking to harm anyone's phone. That's why I posted to do this only if you were having problems, as this really couldn't hurt anything. I swapped out another phone due to this situation. Until I found this fix for her phone today, I was going to exchange it again and get the Iphone4. I guess I was excited to get this out, not realizing it wouldn't benefit everyone.

I'm glad things worked out for you. Network integration in Florida should be completed soon. Coverage will be awesome once everything is completed and they get the kinks worked out.

Upvote 0

I'm not buying it, more like, "damn it, my pron downloading is teh suxxor, maybe if I get people off my PRL I can has pron-berger too!!!!" :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones