• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

G1 screen damage? Pixel line?

abgarza

Feb 9, 2009
My one week old G1 has a thin black line extending across the bottom of the screen (speaking of holding the phone in landscape position). It just schowed up from one use to the next. It is not a screen crack, and I have not dropped it. Has anyone had this problem before and does anyone have any idea what the problem might be. I bought insurance on the G1, but don't want to have to get another one.

Thanks. Earlier, it was two thin lines, and after a restart, went to one. I restarted again, taking out battery and all, and no change. I checked screen protector but it's not it. I downloaded Pixel fixer, and no joy. If there is nothing else to try, I will take it back when I get a chance. Such a downer on such a cool phone.

Upvote 0
I had to exchange my G1 4 times the first week due to dead pixels. Judging by other forum posts and my 4 G1s I think that dead pixels right out of the box is fairly common. But you're ok as long as you exchange it within 14 days, they wont even bug you about insurance.

But if you haven't already you might want to try a factory reset to see if that helps. Usually dead pixels don't disappear like one of your lines. And despite the name, pixel fixer will only help with persistent images. So, you might just have a simple problem of a corrupt graphic driver. Black lines across the screen are a trademark symptom of screwed up graphics acceleration in most computers, this could be something similar.

Upvote 0
I went by the TMo shop where I bought the G1. They took it to the back and brought it back. They told me to bring back the box and receipt and I would get a brand new exchange. No explanation on what the problem was except that "it was the phone" Now I need to write down my apps and save all my contacts to sim.

Thanks for all the help guys. I love my G1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones