• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gain Root/S-OFF/ROM on HTC Inspire

jjohn7293

Android Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2011
I have just got an HTC Inspire 4G and I love it, but for all I know it was shipped with 2.3.5. Is there any way at all to root? After root, I can use my 4EXT app to install a good recovery... Please help??? There are so many articles telling me different things, please help me out... AT&T network.

I just want to add that I have successfully completed the htcdev unlock and have a custom recovery and I have root. I have went ahead and RELOCKED bootloader as well, and I was wondering if there was really a need for running AAHK? Can I go ahead and flash ROMs as it is?

Upvote 0
htcdev is a PITA. id recomend to make every effort to become s off. if youre on the newest firmware,follow this:
http://androidforums.com/inspire-4g...20-502-52-htcdev-in-preparation-use-aahk.html

there is a new download link at the end for the most recent aahk. if you are unable to find the newest aahk,i will be putting up a manual method,but it will be a bit cumbersome and require entering some commands in the cmd window. it wont be to bad,but not as easy as running the aahk ;)

Reactions: jjohn7293
Upvote 0
htcdev is a PITA. id recomend to make every effort to become s off. if youre on the newest firmware,follow this:
http://androidforums.com/inspire-4g...20-502-52-htcdev-in-preparation-use-aahk.html

there is a new download link at the end for the most recent aahk. if you are unable to find the newest aahk,i will be putting up a manual method,but it will be a bit cumbersome and require entering some commands in the cmd window. it wont be to bad,but not as easy as running the aahk ;)

Thanks a lot! I actually already went there, and I do the steps required. Right now I am unlocked with HTC dev and I have superuser access. The only problem though, I cannot get it to keep 4EXT recovery installed. The matter how many times I install recovery, it keeps going back to the stock recovery. I tried manually flashing the recovery files through fastboot it said it was not allowed. I tried using the AAHK, but it said that the RUU was no longer on the server. So I'm pretty much stuck. I bought the phone from my brother, and I just found out that I actually did have froyo on it at first.

Upvote 0
im stuck right here...

c:\mini-adb_inspire>fastboot flash zip RUU_Ace_HTC_WWE_1.32.405.6_Radio_12.28b.6
0.140e_26.03.02.26_M_release_155891_signed.zip
sending 'zip' (293949 KB)... OKAY [ 52.730s]
writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this i
mage...
INFOsignature checking...
INFOzip header checking...
INFOzip info parsing...
INFOchecking model ID...
FAILED (remote: 41 model id check fail)
finished. total time: 96.135s
c:\mini-adb_inspire>

Upvote 0
first off,sorry for the late response,seem to caught a bug and when i got home from work fell right asleep :eek:

Ok I'm downloading the root downgrade s off zip file, do I really need the "shipped Rom" download as well? The file factory link is dead too.
sorry about the file factory link,here is an alternate: Directory listing of http://androidfiles.org/ruu/Ace

the shipped roms link was still working for me,it should take you to a directory of RUUs.

you will want to upgrade somehow,as this process will leave you on an old,outdated rom and firmware. while it is possible to just upgade the radio,i usually recomend to upgrade the entire ruu,wich sill update all firmware. it will also wipe out the custom recovery,but thats not a big deal. :) its easily added later when your s off.

Ok so I have root access already, can I just skip the temp root process?
you can. root access is the important thing. my new guide will include htcdev unlock,becasue of the unreliable temp root methods for various builds.
im stuck right here...

c:\mini-adb_inspire>fastboot flash zip RUU_Ace_HTC_WWE_1.32.405.6_Radio_12.28b.6
sending 'zip' (293949 KB)... OKAY [ 52.730s]
mage...
INFOzip info parsing...
INFOchecking model ID...
FAILED (remote: 41 model id check fail)
finished. total time: 96.135s

looks like you did not properly create the gold card wich is needed at this point to flash the unbranded downgrade RUU. the gold card is prolly the trickiest part of this... just follow the directions carefully and hex edit the image you get to the sd card that you wish to use. :)

Upvote 0
first off,sorry for the late response,seem to caught a bug and when i got home from work fell right asleep :eek:

sorry about the file factory link,here is an alternate: Directory listing of http://androidfiles.org/ruu/Ace

the shipped roms link was still working for me,it should take you to a directory of RUUs.

you will want to upgrade somehow,as this process will leave you on an old,outdated rom and firmware. while it is possible to just upgade the radio,i usually recomend to upgrade the entire ruu,wich sill update all firmware. it will also wipe out the custom recovery,but thats not a big deal. :) its easily added later when your s off.

you can. root access is the important thing. my new guide will include htcdev unlock,becasue of the unreliable temp root methods for various builds.

looks like you did not properly create the gold card wich is needed at this point to flash the unbranded downgrade RUU. the gold card is prolly the trickiest part of this... just follow the directions carefully and hex edit the image you get to the sd card that you wish to use. :)

ok this goldcard thing is very new to me... i tried several times, and idk what im doing wrong... i didnt use the sdk instructions because i have no way of getting the main big sdk working. i used the goldcard tool modified for the inspire, and i wound up with my sd card being formatted and being renamed "GOLDCARD" what am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0
ok this goldcard thing is very new to me... i tried several times, and idk what im doing wrong... i didnt use the sdk instructions because i have no way of getting the main big sdk working. i used the goldcard tool modified for the inspire, and i wound up with my sd card being formatted and being renamed "GOLDCARD" what am I doing wrong?
what tool are you using? i tried a tool,and it didnt work for me either. your best bet is to carfully follow the directions at the link in the thread,and manually hex edit your sd card.

I have no idea which is the latest RUU for my AT&T carrier...
for att its this: Shipped ROMs

also, everytime i try the RUU process, it never shows as 1.31.405.3. It shows as 1.31.405.3.2 or 1.31.405.3.5 or 1.31.405.3.7

hmm,try replacing the 1.31.405.3 with 1.00.000.000. the script is working,i think its just adding in some places that were allready present.

Upvote 0
what tool are you using? i tried a tool,and it didnt work for me either. your best bet is to carfully follow the directions at the link in the thread,and manually hex edit your sd card.

for att its this: Shipped ROMs

hmm,try replacing the 1.31.405.3 with 1.00.000.000. the script is working,i think its just adding in some places that were allready present.

ok, i dont think the goldcard is the problem, cuz i used hex editor and everything... its the model id check failure that is screwing with it. idk how to get around it, the 1.00.000.000 code wouldnt go through

Upvote 0
ok, i dont think the goldcard is the problem, cuz i used hex editor and everything... its the model id check failure that is screwing with it. idk how to get around it, the 1.00.000.000 code wouldnt go through

it may not like the 3rd 0. try 1.00.000.00

the model id error is a problem with the creation of the goldcard. the gold card elminates the modelid and CID checks,allowing the downgrade to flash

are you using the goldcard helper app?

Upvote 0
it may not like the 3rd 0. try 1.00.000.00

the model id error is a problem with the creation of the goldcard. the gold card elminates the modelid and CID checks,allowing the downgrade to flash

are you using the goldcard helper app?
I just made another one using another method, I will let you know what happens

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
hang in there,you will get it. once you get past this,the rest is fairly easy :)
thanks lol... i got it to flash but i got this:

sending 'zip' (293949 KB)... OKAY [145.039s]
mage...
INFOzip info parsing...
INFOchecking model ID...
INFOchecking custom ID...
INFOchecking main version...
INFOstart image[hboot] unzipping for pre-update check...
INFOstart image[hboot] flushing...
INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,0
INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,100
INFOstart image[radio] unzipping for pre-update...
INFOstart image[radio] flushing...
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,0
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,6
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,14
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,19
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,27
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,36
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,44
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,51
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,59
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,68
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,76
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,85
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,95
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100
FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)
finished. total time: 256.127s

What to do now?

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones