• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S 4G not mounting on MBP

NOTE: This post was originally posted in Android Lounge.

Recently I found my old Galaxy S 4G from T-Mobile gathering dust in a desk drawer. I charged it up, SIM unlocked it (I've switched carriers) and I'd like to use it as my go-to phone until I'm eligible for an upgrade. (Why all this trouble? Because quite frankly, even at two years old and counting, the SGS4G is still better than my iPhone.) It's still loaded with Froyo.

But I've hit a snag. My Macbook Pro (early 2012) absolutely will not recognize this device under USB mass storage or Media Player. I heard someone say that rooting affects the ability of the device to be recognized via USB; all I know, it used to work on my old iMac back in 2010 and it was rooted then as well. I've tried everything. I enabled USB debug, selected media player as an option, I've switched out USB cables.... no dice. I'm reduced to yanking the MicroSD and plugging into the card reader on the MBP but the transfer rate on that is unbelievably slow. I even took a shot and tried Android File Transfer even though I know it does not work with anything under 3.0.

I'd like to have this thing working. Any thoughts or ideas?

EDIT: Sorted it. Move along now, nothing to see here...

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones